what to do if I do not have resources for a post-bac or smp

Started by Axe Apollo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Axe Apollo

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work full time and live independently but it's not a well paying job so I would have to take out massive loans if I got into med school anyway

Thing is with my stats (3.1cgpa 2.93sgpa 518 mcat) it feels like taking a loan out on a special masters program or post back would be idiotic, and that I would almost be better off pursuing the nurse practitioner route if I wanted to practice medicine (not that I would necessarily do that anyway considering my interest in osteopathy but still). I've already been screened by University of Incarnate Word pre-secondary, and am starting to become concerned that I will not receive any interviews whatsoever.

I would have carpet bombed apps via AACOMAS but unfortunately I was not able to get a physician to write for me so i was limited to a list of 16 schools plus the 9 on tmdsas that might not instantly screen. I already know vcom virginia screened me but the carolina campus has confirmed that they do not use that a filter.

Any advice on how to handle secondaries with such ridiculously low stats? I've already read through numerous threads here about what to do in this situation. despite having thousands of hours of clinical experience I would say being non traditional particularly hurts me here Especially given certain elements of my personal back story
 
Med schools are not going anywhere. You're in a marathon now, not a Sprint.

Therefore, work for several years save up the money and then go for your reinvention. Since money is an issue, a DIY post bac maybe the best option for you.

And read my post on reinvention for pre-meds.
 
Med schools are not going anywhere. You're in a marathon now, not a Sprint.

Therefore, work for several years save up the money and then go for your reinvention. Since money is an issue, a DIY post bac maybe the best option for you.

And read my post on reinvention for pre-meds.
I should have specified in the OP that I was talking about a DIY post bacc, but I've read your post on reinvention probably five times at this point. I can understand reinvention for some people, and I'll admit that it might be the only way I get to be a doctor. Still, seems bordering on psychotic spend even more money and take even more risk for what seems to be almost aesthetic improvements to gpa, considering that a class that I haven't formally taken but studied for intensely (like anatomy or biochemistry) would be literally review at this point.

I failed two science classes almost 10 years ago, took ~5 years off and worked (including in healthcare), then went back to school with an extreme upward trend albeit nothing stellar. My foundational sciences are solid, and I studied for the MCAT over the course of a year while working full time which at least in my mind does demonstrate long term discipline.

I've also seen your posts about submitting an application "warts and all" which is what I did, but we'll see
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work full time and live independently but it's not a well paying job so I would have to take out massive loans if I got into med school anyway

Thing is with my stats (3.1cgpa 2.93sgpa 518 mcat) it feels like taking a loan out on a special masters program or post back would be idiotic, and that I would almost be better off pursuing the nurse practitioner route if I wanted to practice medicine (not that I would necessarily do that anyway considering my interest in osteopathy but still). I've already been screened by University of Incarnate Word pre-secondary, and am starting to become concerned that I will not receive any interviews whatsoever.

I would have carpet bombed apps via AACOMAS but unfortunately I was not able to get a physician to write for me so i was limited to a list of 16 schools plus the 9 on tmdsas that might not instantly screen. I already know vcom virginia screened me but the carolina campus has confirmed that they do not use that a filter.

Any advice on how to handle secondaries with such ridiculously low stats? I've already read through numerous threads here about what to do in this situation. despite having thousands of hours of clinical experience I would say being non traditional particularly hurts me here Especially given certain elements of my personal back story
I wouldn’t give up just yet. With a 518 MCAT, you’ve already shown you can handle the academics. If this cycle doesn’t work out, I’d strongly recommend looking into the MBMS program at Samuel Merritt University. I completed it while working full-time, and it gave me the opportunity to strengthen my academic record and show admissions committees I could succeed in a rigorous graduate-level science curriculum.


It isn’t the right fit for everyone because it is an investment, but if your GPA is the biggest hurdle, it’s definitely a program I’d recommend considering. The faculty are supportive, the curriculum is solid, and it really helped me prepare for the next step.


If you have any questions about the program or the application process, feel free to message me. I’m happy to share my experience and help however I can. Best of luck—I hope you get some interview invites this cycle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.