"I wanted to help people..."

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CutIt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For anyone in rad residency, was it difficult to get over the cliche "I became a doctor b/c I wanted to be able to really help people" idea that is so pervasive? By the way, this is not by any means intended as a flame (after all there is so much anti-radiology flaming on the SDN boards it looks like summer California wildfires); rather I am wondering b/c I am considering radiology but I face the aformentioned dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

You still really help people. A lot of times the radiologic test is order to just confirm or as a progress exam, but sometimes the clinician will really be lost about what's going on and your read will be critical. Also we do a lot of procedures and a lot of the endovascular and neuro procedures are saving people's lives. There's a lot more to radiology than most med students realize and most clinicians don't appreciate us until they're more experienced and have been "burned" a couple of times. People think the same of pathologists but don't realize they're the ones with the pressure of making some huge calls and sometimes it's not so clear cut on their end either.

The main point is that we're all here, doing our job trying to help people and it works better if everyone cooperates in that effort. I don't think I ever faced any backlash about picking my field besides the fact that my medical school really pushes primary care hard and they were slightly disappointed.

Originally posted by Jim Picotte
You still really help people. A lot of times the radiologic test is order to just confirm or as a progress exam, but sometimes the clinician will really be lost about what's going on and your read will be critical. Also we do a lot of procedures and a lot of the endovascular and neuro procedures are saving people's lives. There's a lot more to radiology than most med students realize and most clinicians don't appreciate us until they're more experienced and have been "burned" a couple of times. People think the same of pathologists but don't realize they're the ones with the pressure of making some huge calls and sometimes it's not so clear cut on their end either.

The main point is that we're all here, doing our job trying to help people and it works better if everyone cooperates in that effort. I don't think I ever faced any backlash about picking my field besides the fact that my medical school really pushes primary care hard and they were slightly disappointed.

Very nicely said, Dr. Picotte! :clap: :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you do help people and make a difference in their care, even if it is in a much less palpable way. Even in IR, it is a rare patient that understands and/or thanks you for what you have done that may have saved their lives or limbs. You have to be content with your role and realize how vital it is in many instances without the benefit of anyone pointing it out to you.

I think most people who go into a non-patient care specialty have this thought early in their selection process and it an intensely personal process. I know of no radiology residents or attendings who have regretted their decision to not do clinical care (I'm sure there are a few around). I do know many medicine and surgical residents who regret their focus on "helping people" when they realize the reality of clinical medicine is much different than the idealized version.

I got over that illusion a long, long time ago.

If you are a free thinker, an intellectual, or someone who does not do well in the confines of the medical heirarchy (like me), rads is the best. You do good work and have a job which really pushes the intellectual persuit or more and more knowledge. Even today I find myself looking things up in physiology books, just so I can better understand what is going on behind the different radiological findings.