SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

I was just wondering.....

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by MoonGlo, Jun 29, 2001.

  1. MoonGlo

    MoonGlo Member 7+ Year Member

    30
    0
    Jun 26, 2001
    If you accept a position off of a waitlist, and then later decide that you DON'T want it (for reasons such as getting off the waitlist at another school for example), what do you do? (Let it be known, this has not happened to me.. I haven't even applied to med school yet. I was just wondering) :D
     
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. MoonGlo

    MoonGlo Member 7+ Year Member

    30
    0
    Jun 26, 2001
    Sorry if the question seems stupid... I don't know the rules about accepting a position in med school and then not going.
     
  4. Popoy

    Popoy SDN Super Moderator 10+ Year Member

    3,071
    0
    Apr 22, 2001
    Michigan
    The way I see it is that you can just write that school a letter saying you decline the acceptance and go to the school you want.... Every year there are people accepting multiple acceptance for the purpose of deciding later.... (I don't have any anecdote or personal experience regarding the matter).... Can someone else have a clearer answer for MoonGlo?
     
  5. joojoobeware

    joojoobeware Member 7+ Year Member

    74
    0
    May 8, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Hmm..
    let me give it a shot... ;)
    May 15th is when AMCAS WANTS you to choose one school that you have been accepted to. So if you get accepted off the waitlist then, you can hold on to as many schools as you want. May 15th is not the absolute deadline..usually schools will write you again making sure you are going to that school. By that point, the student needs to decide. So basically, you can hold to as many 'waitlisted' schools and one accepted school after may 15th. Schools are different at that point. Some schools will want a deposit usually..(not too much)...others will ask for another (usually a lot).
    At that point when you have sent in your money, you should have also sent in a letter of intent. So let's say I got into UofPitt and I'm waiting on UCLA and UCI. Well, if I get into those schools (get off the waitlist) I can then decline my acceptance to UofPitt and go to UCLA. But the drawback is that I would lose whatever non-refundable deposit that I sent in. Geez, I'm writing to much. I hope this helps. Sorry if I went on a tandem. :cool:
     

Share This Page