Am I just bad at interviewing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardman5659

Reaction score
Hi, I have had 6 MD interviews, which has led to 3 WL and 1 R. Unfortunately, my R was to Hackensack, which takes a majority of people they interview. I am waiting on 2 decisions, but one school has ghosted me since my September interview (UMass), and the other school is Kaiser which accepts very few people. I attended 5 DO interviews, which led to 1 R, 1 WL, and 3 As. I am just wondering if my interviews went poorly, does that mean I have a lower chance of coming off the WL? I'm assuming that my outcomes are most likely due to poor interview skills?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 users
. I am just wondering if my interviews went poorly, does that mean I have a lower chance of coming off the WL?

Yes.

I'm assuming that my outcomes are most likely due to poor interview skills?

Top of the DDX list, yes.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
I am just wondering if my interviews went poorly, does that mean I have a lower chance of coming off the WL? I'm assuming that my outcomes are most likely due to poor interview skills?
You have 3 offers, 4 WL, 2 Rs. You interviewed very well. You are going to be a doctor.

Without your WAMC profile, it's not possible to give you insight if you will get another offer, but you succeeded in getting accepted.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
. I am just wondering if my interviews went poorly, does that mean I have a lower chance of coming off the WL?

Yes.

I'm assuming that my outcomes are most likely due to poor interview skills?

Top of the DDX list, yes.
Alright, thank you for the honesty 😭

Reactions: 1 user
You have 3 offers, 4 WL, 2 Rs. You interviewed very well. You are going to be a doctor.

Without your WAMC profile, it's not possible to give you insight if you will get another offer, but you succeeded in getting accepted.
Yes, I am very grateful that some schools took a chance on me, despite my subpar interviewing skills. I am mostly interested in one school that I am on the WL for, because it is near my partner.
WAMC:
  1. 3.3/3.4, 4.0 SMP
  2. 519 (129/129/132/129)
  3. CA
  4. white
  5. state school
  6. 1000 hrs clinical exp
  7. 200 hrs research (very limited, no pubs)
  8. about 100 hrs of shadowing in 5 different specialties
  9. Lots of random volunteering. 350hrs for most meaningful. 300 hrs hospital volunteering.

Hi, I have had 6 MD interviews, which has led to 3 WL and 1 R. Unfortunately, my R was to Hackensack, which takes a majority of people they interview. I am waiting on 2 decisions, but one school has ghosted me since my September interview (UMass), and the other school is Kaiser which accepts very few people. I attended 5 DO interviews, which led to 1 R, 1 WL, and 3 As. I am just wondering if my interviews went poorly, does that mean I have a lower chance of coming off the WL? I'm assuming that my outcomes are most likely due to poor interview skills?
Wait a minute! You have three acceptances who you kidding? You're going to be a doctor, and you have done very well!

When you ask somebody out for a date. You're not always going to be able to get them to go out on the date with you.

Light a candle instead of cursing the darkness and feeling sorry for yourself.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
Yes, I am very grateful that some schools took a chance on me, despite my subpar interviewing skills. I am mostly interested in one school that I am on the WL for, because it is near my partner.
WAMC:
  1. 3.3/3.4, 4.0 SMP
  2. 519 (129/129/132/129) ...
Adding to previous post:
Some schools wanted you because you successfully showed academic reinvention (I presume). The schools will help you with your oral communication for residency interviews in four years. Follow-up with suggestions to reach out to the waitlisted school to see if having other offers will change anything. (At this point, good luck... I don't know what your compelling argument would be to petition to be considered.)

It's almost impossible from a distance to tell whether your interviews held you back, and an interviewee's impressions of how an interview went aren't always accurate. At this point, the issue is moot. Focus on killing it in medical school and "screw your courage to the sticking place".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Adding to previous post:
Some schools wanted you because you successfully showed academic reinvention (I presume). The schools will help you with your oral communication for residency interviews in four years. Follow-up with suggestions to reach out to the waitlisted school to see if having other offers will change anything. (At this point, good luck... I don't know what your compelling argument would be to petition to be considered.)
I did send an LOI. I haven't reached out to admissions directly. Should I call as well to discuss the WL position? Thanks