I would love some input on a Letter of Rec Question. Thanks!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crocshagreen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a first year Medical Student, and I am pretty sure I am going into Ophthalmology, if I can make it. :) I would say 100% sure, but I am taking the advice of many and am keeping my options open until I see more on rotations. But, I absolutely love Ophthalmology.

Anyways, my question has to do with Letters of Recommendation for Residency. There is one Ophthalmologist at my school that I already get along with very well, that I would love to have write me a letter of rec. He's a family friend of my inlaws and is very well know nationally in the field. However, I don't think he works with the 3rd years during their Ophthalmology rotations. Would it be strange if I just shadowed him for a day or two extra during my third year, and had him write me a letter of rec? Or is it better to get letters from people that you spent more time with on rotations, but may not write you as good a letter? For those that have been through this whole process, what would you do in my situation?

I hope that question made sense. I would love any input.

Members don't see this ad.

You should spend time in the ophthalmology department outside of the one time you rotate there third year if you are definitely interested in ophthalmology. You don't have to go all the time but if you have an open afternoon every so often pop over to see patients in the clinic or go to the OR. That will help you form relationships with the ophthalmologists and the one you know can see you as a student instead of someone you know from outside of school. Both my ophtho letters came from doctors who knew me four years. That is much better then someone who met you for only 1 month on a rotation.

Obviously rotate as much as possible with other department people but a really good letter from someone well known is much better than a less glowing letter from someone who has more resident interaction. If the doc is well known, the other programs you interview at won't know his normal level of resident interaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the ophtho dept. coordinator if he or she would allow you to work with this person during your rotation - maybe because you have a special interest in their area or even just cuz you know them a little bit and want to spend more time with them clinically. If the doc is ok with it and lets the coordinator know, I don't see why it would be unlikely that you could spend part of your rotation with this doctor.

Thanks for your responses, they've helped. I do think I'll try to get pop in and shadow some from the Ophthalmology department right now, during my first year, just to get to know some of the clinicians over there. Couldn't hurt, right?