I would love to become a Vet , but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuxerMudi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm considering going to Veterinary field. I always have had a passion for animals,& have always wanted to be a vet.

I need to really start considering what I'm going into. I'm 17,& I'm going into my senior year. So colleges is coming up pretty quickly.

But, I have Major Depression. I know that you put animals, watch them decline,& get worse & worse, see animals with terminal illness, see abused animals.

I so sensitive when it comes to animals. I get sad when I go to the shelter, cry at those ASPCA/HSUS commercials, crying during movies, even when it isn't sad.

But, I watch animals improve. Help them get healthier. See terminally ill dogs get better.

I don't know if I should take this road. Some opinions would be nice
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

By "Major Depression", do you mean diagnosed depression, or just that you get upset seeing animals get put down? There have been a few other threads recently about depression and vet school that you may find helpful. I know every person is different, but for me I found that it does get easier dealing with sick/dying animals. You build a thicker shell. I would suggest spending some time at a vet clinic and seeing if it's for you. My mother-in-law (who's a nurse) cries all the time at sad movies but once she's in the hospital and dealing with tough situations hands on she's completely different.

Members don't see this ad :)
I change the channel whenever HSUS/ASPCA commercials come on, otherwise I get all choked up. And I can watch pretty much any movie, but an animal in a movie being hurt or killed can make me cry pretty easily. But I love my job working at a vet clinic. It helps that you know it's the best choice for the animal and that you're doing the best you can to help the animal. And you also get to see a lot of great things. It's really rewarding to see an animal who is really sick or injured and then get to be part of making that animal feel better. And the science/medicine part of the field is fascinating. Speaking of, do you like science? That's pretty important to vet med too, not just the animal part.

You'll have to get some vet experience anyway before applying to vet school, so start asking around and see if you can shadow a vet soon. Maybe talk to the vet you shadow, tell them your concerns and ask what advice they have.

You're still in high school and have plenty of time to decide if you want to be a vet. :)

I love science. It is my main interested.

I love science. It is my main interested.
Cool. I just wanted to be sure you knew that science was involved.

In that case, I would definitely go see for yourself whether you like the veterinary field. It's hard for anyone else to tell you whether it's something you should pursue, because everyone reacts differently to seeing euthanasia and sad cases. Good luck with your senior year and deciding what you want to do after high school! :luck: