IA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let it be
Hey, Goro,

Thanks for the response, I was leaning towards this as well. I figure it wouldn't really help my case to keep mentioning my IA to adcoms over and over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a nice video online with Kaplan interviewing the Dean of Admission at Hopkins. It was a live Q&A and he got a question on IA's and he pretty much said you'd be DOA with one.

I can't imagine the situation being that much different at another school unless admissions standards are significantly more lax at other institutions. To be honest, an IA looks worse than getting a C or even a D.

There is a nice video online with Kaplan interviewing the Dean of Admission at Hopkins. It was a live Q&A and he got a question on IA's and he pretty much said you'd be DOA with one.

I can't imagine the situation being that much different at another school unless admissions standards are significantly more lax at other institutions. To be honest, an IA looks worse than getting a C or even a D.

I don't think having one IA during freshmen year is lethal, especially if you show remorse and it wasn't too serious. Maybe at a T5 school like Hopkins it is, but there are plenty of MD and DO programs that can forgive one mistake.

If it's not something that is documented, then I wouldn't even disclose it. Sometimes talking about things that are not a big deal make them into a big deal. Just know that once you're in the system, there is zero tolerance for this type of behavior so you don't want to start off with a bad impression. There seems to be a lot of talk about IA's on this forum but the reality is that most accepted medical students are squeaky clean.

• Inappropriate
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
IA's need to be reported even if they aren't documented on a transcript. From the AMCAS website:

Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

IA's need to be reported even if they aren't documented on a transcript. From the AMCAS website:

Medical schools need to know if you were ever the recipient of any institutional action resulting from unacceptable academic performance or a conduct violation, even if such action did not interrupt your enrollment, require you to withdraw, or does not appear on your official transcripts due to institutional policy or personal petition.

There is a yes and a no to that. Documentation is how medicine works right? Well, it's the same way the world works. You might genuninly be doing the right thing and reporting an IA but the school can come right back and say "hey, that was not an IA."

Again, this isn't something for SDN. This is between the accused, the schools involved. You're just going to get an unproductive back and forth on this issue on this forum which is waste of everybody's time.

• Dislike
There is a yes and a no to that. Documentation is how medicine works right? Well, it's the same way the world works. You might genuninly be doing the right thing and reporting an IA but the school can come right back and say "hey, that was not an IA."

Again, this isn't something for SDN. This is between the accused, the schools involved. You're just going to get an unproductive back and forth on this issue on this forum which is waste of everybody's time.

There is truth and full-disclosure and there are lies and obfuscation. There is honesty and dishonesty. AMCAS is very clear and consistant in their instructions. The applicant attests that the material in the application is true and complete. If it is ever discovered, by any means, that the applicant lied on the application and withheld information that the applicant was required to disclose, AMCAS can take action that will be harsh but not unjust.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "the school" says it was not an IA. The undergrad school? The school is sending a Dean's Certification of IA. The school is hardly saying that an IA didn't happen.

There is truth and full-disclosure and there are lies and obfuscation. There is honesty and dishonesty. AMCAS is very clear and consistant in their instructions. The applicant attests that the material in the application is true and complete. If it is ever discovered, by any means, that the applicant lied on the application and withheld information that the applicant was required to disclose, AMCAS can take action that will be harsh but not unjust.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "the school" says it was not an IA. The undergrad school? The school is sending a Dean's Certification of IA. The school is hardly saying that an IA didn't happen.

I wasn't referencing this case in particular. If the Dean is sending any type of IA statement to another school then I think you and I both know this particular student isn't going to go very far in this process.

The point I was making was some students think they have an IA when in reality they don't and in that situation you don't report anything that is not documented.

In this case, there is documentation.

• Dislike
I wasn't referencing this case in particular. If the Dean is sending any type of IA statement to another school then I think you and I both know this particular student isn't going to go very far in this process.

The point I was making was some students think they have an IA when in reality they don't and in that situation you don't report anything that is not documented.

In this case, there is documentation.

The instructions are clear in the AMCAS Instruction booklet. IAs must be reported whether or not they have been wiped from the record ("not documented").
It is also incorrect to state categorically that a student with an IA will not be going very far in this process. Some schools do recognize that good people make mistakes and learn and grow from those errors in judgement and become better people after having had that experience.

@Chris P. Bacon, your statements here are not helpful.

Reactions: 3 users
The instructions are clear in the AMCAS Instruction booklet. IAs must be reported whether or not they have been wiped from the record ("not documented").
It is also incorrect to state categorically that a student with an IA will not be going very far in this process. Some schools do recognize that good people make mistakes and learn and grow from those errors in judgement and become better people after having had that experience.

@Chris P. Bacon, your statements here are not helpful.

I'm just relating what I have seen.

There is a grey area with IA's and they are up for discussion. I think the OP should discuss this matter with the schools involved as that is where the situation will be resolved. I don't think it will be resolved here. At my school, OP won't make it pass initial screening process and I can almost guarantee that.

I'm just relating what I have seen.

There is a grey area with IA's and they are up for discussion. I think the OP should discuss this matter with the schools involved as that is where the situation will be resolved. I don't think it will be resolved here. At my school, OP won't make it pass initial screening process and I can almost guarantee that.

How long have you served on the admissions committee? We are here to provide factual and helpful information to applicants. If you are able to do that, your observations are useful and welcome. If you have no experience on which to base your opinions, they are just uninformed opinions and should be labeled as such.

Reactions: 4 users