IAUPR Feedback....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biogal302

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any feedback on PR's optometry school, especially on housing, classes, and the clinical aspects of it.......I'm thinking of applying there and wanted to know about it...

thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

All I can say is, I.A.U.P.R. seems to be the college of optometry applied to by people who can't get in anywhere else. Is there a reason you're looking specifically into this school?

I think most people overlook PR because of it's location and the fact that the Spanish language is integrated very strongly into their curriculum. But it's still an accredited school and you'll probably see more retinopathy than you will anywhere else. So if you're cool with moving so far away and are confident in your Spanish abilities or really want to become fluent in Spanish, Then IAUPR might be a good choice for you.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
biogal, what made you switch from pre-dent so suddenly? Looks like you used to post over there before you came here.

All I can say is, I.A.U.P.R. seems to be the college of optometry applied to by people who can't get in anywhere else. Is there a reason you're looking specifically into this school?

Hey!! It's just that I was gonna wait for the next cycle to open up, but I really was thinking of not waiting for the year because I'm graduating this May and I didn't want to take the gap year. Only thing I've missed some of the deadlines already and IAUPR was one of the few still open. Also a close family friend went there and he said he loved it and it was a great school and experience. My stats are decent enough to get into at least a few schools but i'm guessing it's all about if i want to wait it out or not. Also the whole learning another language sounds pretty good as well.

biogal, what made you switch from pre-dent so suddenly? Looks like you used to post over there before you came here.

Everyone changes their mind......thing is my mom is a dentist and she was the one who really wanted to me to do it and stuff....i completely forgot i even posted there. lol I chose not to follow that route, and never followed through. I've shadowed an optometrist since the summer of last year and completely fell in love with the profession......other than that im just hoping everything works out!

Everyone changes their mind......thing is my mom is a dentist and she was the one who really wanted to me to do it and stuff....i completely forgot i even posted there. lol I chose not to follow that route, and never followed through. I've shadowed an optometrist since the summer of last year and completely fell in love with the profession......other than that im just hoping everything works out!

Just curious! I saw your status was pre-dent too. Good luck to you! :luck:

Hey!! It's just that I was gonna wait for the next cycle to open up, but I really was thinking of not waiting for the year because I'm graduating this May and I didn't want to take the gap year. Only thing I've missed some of the deadlines already and IAUPR was one of the few still open. Also a close family friend went there and he said he loved it and it was a great school and experience. My stats are decent enough to get into at least a few schools but i'm guessing it's all about if i want to wait it out or not. Also the whole learning another language sounds pretty good as well.

Are you saying you want to apply, now, to I.A.U.P.R.'s O.D. program for fall, 2010? I'm almost certain every school's deadline for submission of application via OptomCAS has passed. Is I.A.U.P.R. still accepting apps.?

In any event, good luck.

Are you saying you want to apply, now, to I.A.U.P.R.'s O.D. program for fall, 2010? I'm almost certain every school's deadline for submission of application via OptomCAS has passed. Is I.A.U.P.R. still accepting apps.?

In any event, good luck.

Heyy yea their deadline is May 15. 2010

I am a student here and the program is not bad, it can use some fine tweeking but all in all...like in any other school, you're teaching yourself the material...they just provide it to you. In my class there are very motivated students and your group that came here for the wrong reasons...to party. The island side is very beautiful, but it is definitely an adjustment to life from the states. I do not regret my decision to come here, but I also am not going to point the finger at the school and make them responsible for making me pass...it is up to you! Every school has students who pass and do not pass the boards...so I am getting an early start on studying for it.

On another note, people definitely shaped up after their first semester because 1st semester was not a walk in the park. So if you are dedicated and motivated, I do not see why you would not succeed. So while the school is open to accepting people without the greatest stats, those people are the ones struggling through school and having anxiety attacks.

Last edited:
Thanks DrS. It's good to hear from someone who's actually from the school rather than to cobble together an idea based on others' guess of how good the school is, myself included.

I am a student here and the program is not bad, it can use some fine tweeking but all in all...like in any other school, you're teaching yourself the material...they just provide it to you. In my class there are very motivated students and your group that came here for the wrong reasons...to party. The island side is very beautiful, but it is definitely an adjustment to life from the states. I do not regret my decision to come here, but I also am not going to point the finger at the school and make them responsible for making me pass...it is up to you! Every school has students who pass and do not pass the boards...so I am getting an early start on studying for it.

On another note, people definitely shaped up after their first semester because 1st semester was not a walk in the park. So if you are dedicated and motivated, I do not see why you would not succeed. So while the school is open to accepting people without the greatest stats, those people are the ones struggling through school and having anxiety attacks.

Hey Dr. S, Thanks so much for your posting. I was just wondering how is the student life at the school and/or the graduate housing, if you don't mind me asking. Yea I just finished emailing them for info on what's the latest I can take the OAT to hopefully apply this year. Also, what would be a typical day for a first semester student there?

I am a student here and the program is not bad, it can use some fine tweeking but all in all...like in any other school, you're teaching yourself the material...

I can't speak for the other schools but at my school the professors are pretty good about teaching us material... :confused:

Well as far as clinical skills go, there are great clinicians here and some not so great ones. But what I meant was the academic courses (pharm, anatomy, pathology, physiology, etc) those are more self-teach classes. However, the optics professor here is great.

As far as the living situation, there is a dorm-type apartment complex that was built for our class...I lived there for a semester and moved out because it was really boring. But if you don't have a car, which you will soon realize you really need, then I suggest stay there. To me they are a bit over priced but they are clean and new. Most people live off campus but the places are not pristine. The courseload is typically 22 credits a semester (we have the semester system here) and expect to be in class from 9-3 mon thru fri..but labs are separate. If you don't speak spanish, you will also have to be taking spanish classes concurrently and learn how to do the tests in spanish and english. All classes and exams are in english..so no worries.