IAUPR Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rallthenamesgon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am deciding on whether to or not to apply to IAUPR this summer but I would like to hear from some students or anyone that has any experience or knowledge about IAUPR. From looking at past threads it seems that people consider IAUPR as a last result and that people look down on their academics. I am interested in IAUPR because of the location and also because I wouldn't mind learning more spanish, but at the same time I want a quality learning and clinical experience. Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am deciding on whether to or not to apply to IAUPR this summer but I would like to hear from some students or anyone that has any experience or knowledge about IAUPR. From looking at past threads it seems that people consider IAUPR as a last result and that people look down on their academics. I am interested in IAUPR because of the location and also because I wouldn't mind learning more spanish, but at the same time I want a quality learning and clinical experience. Any info will be helpful. Thanks.

I'm not positive, but since PR has basically the worst scope of practice anywhere I think you would miss out on a lot of theraputics/medical managment. It appears that most docs don't care where you go to school, but it does have the lowest admissions standards by a large margin. Are the board scores also on the low end?

Oh crap, cue maddi

:rolleyes:

Funny how people have these ridiculous assumptions about our school...

About scope of practice, our school has a legal right as an educational institution where we are able to practice full-scope optometry in any of our clinics (we have 7!, expect 2 more soon), so you will do it all. Although we have that exemption with MDs overlooking meds Rx's, our school is currently involved in heavy lobbying and expect DPA & TPA legislation to be passed very soon for PR (I know because I met with some of the legislators a few times lobbying)... Our Dean (president of ASCO) is determined to get this accomplished & is doing a good job at it.

In the clinic, you may see in 1 day: a FB, several GLC Pts, everybody has DM & HTN, peds for VT, LV, Albinism (not uncommon in PR), Lupus, etc, etc. Our school is the only eye clinic for those "special" cases, we get referals from all of PR and get patients from around the Caribbean. You begin vision screening 2nd year where you are abruptly introduced to your typical Pts who may be 65 y/o and never had an eye exam (with uncontroled DM of 10 yrs), or have some rare condition that they have neglected for years, or....... talk about a rude awakening (& great learning experience)...

Because people here culturally don't go to the Dr til they absolutely have to, you see advanced pathology that in the states you won't get to see (& Dx & Tx). You also get to speak Spanish (believe me, you will) and this = $ when you are finished.

I can go on forever... I love it here, I was accepted to another school (won't say which one) and after hearing the experience from students there and comparing mine here, I am sooooo glad I chose to come here, I love it here. every school has problems and areas that can improve, but our problems seem petty compared to some of what I've heard about other places.

Besides, its great to live in the Caribbean, I wish I could stay. School is hard here, it will be hard everywhere, but its nice to be able to jump on a ferry for $6 round trip (Vieques & Culebra islands) and in 1 1/2 hrs be in one of the virgin islands. That's a hell of a day off.

As for admission standards being low, don't count on it. There have been major policy changes at our school and unfortunately for some, people are getting kicked out left and right, no ?s asked, and classes are hard, believe me. As for boards, we all take the same ones & if you study a lot you do well, if you don't, you don't. Who cares where you go to school, still gotta study your but off.

BTW, check out our website and see our new school, will be ready in August:

http://www.optonet.inter.edu/news/new_building_construction/jun_29_2007/index.html

http://www.optonet.inter.edu/news/[URL]