IAUPR Boards preparedness

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheREALoptometrist2015

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much responsibility does an optometry school or any professional school bare in preparing their students to pass national boards???
Why am I asking. Few weeks ago there was a debate online from IAUPR about who bares the blame for low board pass rates and when I saw low I mean 40% for NBEO 1-3 (ALL BOARDS)
Many profs and even the dean of academics chimed in to trash current and alum alike on how terrible we were and how its all our fault for the school having a terrible reputation and low board scores
Just a lovely update on this super amazing school in PR. anyone considering going here should reconsider especially when you have one of the deans posting on social media that its not the schools job to prepare you for boards, that students are lazy, professors all joining in saying that American students are worthless and lazy and shouldn't have been accepted, criticizing the "American students" for bringing down the reputation of the school because the Puerto Ricans are so much better. you are wasting your money at this school. Who posts that all students (current and alumni alike) are terrible and dont deserve to be doctors yet want alumni to stop trashing the school after they spend an entire post trashing all the students saying we are terrible and stupid! Want to know what prompted the convo?? The official percentage report of boards pass rates was released and IAUPR did the worst as usual but not only are they the worst they are at a 40% pass rate for all parts of boards even lower than any year before. Now I get that the school doesn't bare full blame that's not how this works but for a school that has been around more than 30 yrs dont you think that this should be figured out. New schools have better scores than we do so what is the difference and why isn't IAUPR doing something to better themselves for their students.
Opinions please

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My opinion:

If your goal is to practice in the United States, DO NOT GO to IAUPR.

When it's 50-50 that you'll even meet the requirement to be licensed upon graduation, Ican;t in good faith suggest someone go there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My opinion:

If your goal is to practice in the United States, DO NOT GO to IAUPR.

When it's 50-50 that you'll meet the requirement to be licensed upon graduation, I go never in good faith suggest someone go there.
its sad bc the students want better, want to be proud of where they received their degree they don't want to be embarrassed to say that you graduated from IAUPR trust me they dont want to feel that way but who wants to go and pay as much as they do living in a pretty dangerous country and NOT having every professor have 100% faith in EVERY single student THEY HAVE CHOSEN to attend their institution they will NEVER be successful. it boggles my mind that they accept students and then criticize, ridicule, belittle, trash on social media, an fail to prepare them full for even passing the first NBEO. all it takes is showing students respect believing in them molding them in the professionals they worked so hard to be. I know the school reads these posts. So... Dr Romero....when are you going to step up to the plate and have your professors step up to the plate and better the situation? Work with students to better the relationship b/w students and professors, adjust/better the teaching methods of each professor who consistently has high failure rates mentor students who are struggling and see if their is a way for them to improve work WITH students not AGAINST them. Give us all something to be proud of. Remember that people will give you what you expect of them and give what they receive so if you expect mediocrity then that is what you will get, show disrespect it will be received as well. I know it can't all be handed on a silver platter but PROFESSORS NEED to improve their methods.

Members don't see this ad :)
The 40% pass rate manifests itself from a combination of poor academics AND the quality of student matriculating.Put most of the lowest performing students at one certain school and the professors would have to be miracle workers to overcome the disparity.

That said,it’s pretty disgraceful

Reactions: 1 user
My opinion:

The institution is not all to blame - the quality of the students accepted, I believe, is a major factor to how boards turn out and the overall reputation of the school. If you compare the average gpa/oat scores (which is published each year) with the board pass rates you'll see there is a strong positive correlation between the two. But to your point - with schools such as ICO and Midwestern-AZ (mediocre/avg applicant stats, high board scores) there are a lot of resources and attention applied and focused into creating an extremely vigorous didactic curriculum (for ex. ICO's ridiculous 2-3 exams a week) that can propel "avg" students to perform at a higher level. Whether or not IAUPR has the desire or resources to overhaul there class curriculum structure is an important question but I don't believe a class with a nearly sub 3.0 undergrad GPA would be able to take that rigor (though I believe there are certainly qualified individual applicants with poor gpa's). At the end of the day these schools are businesses whose primary goal is to be profitable - I learned this the hard way as I was interviewing.
That being said I would wish my doctors knew the difference between bare and bear. Not a personal shot and it prob won't affect your ability to be a clinician but goes to show something about the ppl that need to resort to going to PR.