IB vs. Dual Enrollment vs. Ap

Which high school program

• Total voters

Heiwa143

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a high school freshman and wondering that if you were a doctor or any health professional if you could go back and do it again which high school program would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

This is at an accredited state college by the way.

I think AP classes and dual-enrollment are both good options (I applied IB but either didn't get accepted or decided not to attend - probably the former - so I don't have much experience with it). My undergrad counted my 5 in AP bio as two classes worth of intro bio credit, which was nice, but many professional schools will want you to retake them at the college level if you want to use them as a pre-req (so dual enrollment would be more useful in that case). In reality, you'll probably end up with a mixture of DE and AP classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since med schools are more likely to accept credit from a 4-year college than AP, IB, or even community college, DE at a 4-year college is best.

The college I'm attending is a four year institution

I would do the DE, but be careful. My HS offered DE at our HS (HS teachers that taught at a college level). Like many HS students, I wasn't that focused in my studies, and that affected my DE grades which inevitably affected my TMDSAS GPA. Thankfully, my undergrad GPA was good enough to balance it out.

As a former IBer, I would strongly suggest it. First, you end up with a lot of transfer credits (I think I also transferred roughly 25cr including some APs). Second, the extended essay is a great prep for writing any sort of undergraduate thesis in college. You'll understand the process and time it takes to get the work done. Finally, you'll be forced to learn to be well rounded, since CAS hours need to be done to get the diploma.

Just my two cents! (I'm obviously biased though)

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest you go for IB Diploma if you decide on doing IB since the overall rigor will prepare you really well for college plus you'll get a ton of credit. Like the above poster mentioned the EE is excellent preparation for essay writing in college. But DON'T do IB if your school isn't a well established IB World School with a decent track record because it will screw you over. Also if you decide against doing the entire diploma programme and only want to take a couple of classes don't even bother with IB unless you intend on taking all higher level classes because that is the only way you'll get credit (standard level classes won't get you any credit) - If that's the case go with AP since each class will count for credit if you get 4/5's.

If you can I would do dual enrollment and AP. This may not be the best plan, but its what I am doing :).