ibrutinib and bleeding risk

Started by deleted131481
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted131481

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone familiar with this medication? Used for some lymphomas and leukemia, apparently some higher bleeding risk. It affects platelet function. UptoDate says risks/benefits of holding 3-7 days.

I have a patient on this scheduled for TFESI so thinking of just continuing (recently started doing these on blood thinners). If ILESI I think I would send note to oncologist to stop 5-7 days.

Thoughts?
 
Anyone familiar with this medication? Used for some lymphomas and leukemia, apparently some higher bleeding risk. It affects platelet function. UptoDate says risks/benefits of holding 3-7 days.

I have a patient on this scheduled for TFESI so thinking of just continuing (recently started doing these on blood thinners). If ILESI I think I would send note to oncologist to stop 5-7 days.

Thoughts?
I do a bit of cancer pain but I was not familiar with this one. Thanks for mentioning it as I'll look out for it in the future. It looks like it is has a uniquely elevated risk for bleeding due to on-target and off-target mechanisms on platelet function.

1669070056138.png


Management of elective and unplanned procedures.​

Ibrutinib should be held for 7 days prior to major procedures, as the antiplatelet effects of ibrutinib have been shown to be fully reversed after a week off therapy.[20, 21] Ibrutinib can be restarted 1–3 days postoperatively.[11, 13] The risk of bleeding during urgent, unplanned procedures can be mitigated with platelet transfusion to achieve 50% fresh platelets.[20] The time since the last dose of ibrutinib should be considered if transfusing platelets, as outlined above.[21]

For an ILESI I would check platelet count the week of the ESI and assess them for bleeding based on petechiae, oozing gums, etc on the day of, as the risk of a catastrophic bleed for a non-catheter based injection is very low compared to the cancer risk. You could follow the guidelines above and hold for 7 days. I would hold for 7 days for higher risk things like SCS trials. The half life is short but the need for platelets to bounce back is the struggle.

For TFESI, I would agree and just go