ICD9 With EMG/NCS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paddington

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) After doing an EMG/NCS, on the billing sheet do you have to list an ICD 9 code? What if they had a normal study?

2) As a resident when I'm doing my ACGME procedure logs, do I need to list an ICD 9 with all EMG studies? Or is it enough just to put the CPT code "95999"?

Members don't see this ad.

What is "the reason" for the study.

If the diagnosis is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, it is 354.0 whether the study is normal or if it shows a Median Neuropathy at the wrist.

And do not use "paresthesias" or you will not get paid.

In other words, what is your pretest diagnosis?

Excellent. What about logging them as a resident? Do I need to put down ICD 9 codes (going by the billing criteria) on the ACGME forms?

Members don't see this ad :)
If the EMG is normal, you can usually code the diagnosis. I get paid for "paresthesias" as the dx all the time. "Pain in limb"is a common one also.

I would not think you would need the ICD-9 codes for your logs, but check with your program director.

There is actually a section on the ACGME case log reporting site that asks you to put in the CPT/ICD 9 codes. If you dont have them offhand, there is a search function that approximates it.

When I log my cases on the ACGME website I list the codes that I performed:

95900 = motor NCS
95904 = sensory/mixed
95860 = EMG, 1 limb with or without paraspinals
95861 = EMG 2 limbs