ICE ICE BABY! All the time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wired202808

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there are about 2 questions in GC destroyer that are done via ICE method, are there any other ways to do the problems?

I hate ICE and it sometimes throws me off for a loop. Any suggestions fellas?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd assume they would be very similar to what's on the Destroyer. I doubt if they throw a crazy ICE problem on the DAT that takes too much time to solve.

I'd assume they would be very similar to what's on the Destroyer. I doubt if they throw a crazy ICE problem on the DAT that takes too much time to solve.

ye i just hate doing them because i always forget to divide. is it really just having to remember to divide by the volume?

Members don't see this ad :)
ye i just hate doing them because i always forget to divide. is it really just having to remember to divide by the volume?

YEA MANNN you gotsta divide by the volume...

i think...i just learned this...i should know this...
it's late, i should probably get off SDN and get some :sleep:

i dunno of any other way to do ICE calculations..unless your some kind of mathematical genius and can do it all in your head :confused:

Yeah, normally they give you the moles of reactants or products and you need to get the molarity of each.

Hey Guys and Girls I have a question,

I have the 2009 DAT destroyer. Do you think im at a huge disadvantage that I don't have the 2011 version?

Last edited:
What type of problems are these? Solubility? Acid/Base?

The ICE diagram is a handy method of keeping track of a reaction (titrations) as it goes to equilibrium. It stands for Initial conditions, conditions at Change, and Equilibrium conditions.

* "I" stands for the initial concentrations (or pressures) for each species in the reaction mixture.
* "C" represents the change in the concentrations (or pressures) for each species as the system moves towards equilibrium.
* "E" represents the equilibrium concentrations (or pressures) of each species when the system is in a state of equilibrium.

Thanks - This is good info to have up on the board. I have used this during G-chem class but I have not yet done it for destroyer or exam crackers. I just set them up in my head or on my piece of paper. Then solve the equation rather than setting up the whole ICE table.

The ICE diagram is a handy method of keeping track of a reaction (titrations) as it goes to equilibrium. It stands for Initial conditions, conditions at Change, and Equilibrium conditions.

* "I" stands for the initial concentrations (or pressures) for each species in the reaction mixture.
* "C" represents the change in the concentrations (or pressures) for each species as the system moves towards equilibrium.
* "E" represents the equilibrium concentrations (or pressures) of each species when the system is in a state of equilibrium.

Thanks - This is good info to have up on the board. I have used this during G-chem class but I have not yet done it for destroyer or exam crackers. I just set them up in my head or on my piece of paper. Then solve the equation rather than setting up the whole ICE table.

To be honest I think the best way is to get really familiarized with the reactions using the ICE diagram and then quickly determine which one is which so on the DAT you can quickly get to the answer without setting up the whole thing

wasnt this how you set up problems when you took genchem lol. just make a review sheet with a few completed problems and look them over every now and then if you need it.

So I have done some HW...

The instances when these seem useful are when you're doing:

Neutralization reactions (acid/base)
Common ion and Ksp
Or just adding something to a solution and there is a eq constant.