GPA: 3.93, MCAT 503, MD/DO, ORM, MA res, Help with Secondaries

Started by Daisy001
Tags Tags
md & do
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Daisy001

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, I was wondering if someone with similar stats who has experience with secondary essays could help? Or if you are applying this cycle with similar stats, I would love to connect. Please let me know 🙂
Also open to any general advice with these stats cuz I need hope T_T
 
Which schools did you apply to ?
I'm planning on applying to Medical College of Wisconsin, Tufts (IS), Umass (IS), Drexel, Michigan State, Virginia Tech, Temple, Rush, Albany Med, UofKentucky, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin - Chicago, and some DO schools including Michigan State, PCOM, UNE, Rowan and Touro.
I have tons of research, clinical, and volunteering experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which schools did you apply to ?
I have like
3000 research hours (basic, translational, and clinical),
350 hours in multiple leadership positions (president, treasurer, Secretary for some clubs, and pre-med frat)
365 hours for peer tutoring and mentoring,
210 clinical volunteering at a hospital
45 hours fundraising for flood relief and childrens' hospital
50 hours Volunteering at Immigrant Learning Center
335 hours of shadowing
An abstract publication
at least 7 conference poster presentations and 1 oral presentation
Currently/Recently started volunteering -> food packaging/drives, ESL classes
 
I have like
3000 research hours (basic, translational, and clinical),
350 hours in multiple leadership positions (president, treasurer, Secretary for some clubs, and pre-med frat)
365 hours for peer tutoring and mentoring,
210 clinical volunteering at a hospital
45 hours fundraising for flood relief and childrens' hospital
50 hours Volunteering at Immigrant Learning Center
335 hours of shadowing
An abstract publication
at least 7 conference poster presentations and 1 oral presentation
Currently/Recently started volunteering -> food packaging/drives, ESL classes
Mission fit is the key to your success. That means we need more than just your hours; we want to know what you did and why that's important for your purpose as a physician.
 
A 503 MCAT is not competitive for most MD schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Methodist
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
I suggest these DO schools:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
NYITCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
 
A 503 MCAT is not competitive for most MD schools. I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Methodist
Belmont
Alice Walton
Roseman
TCU
Ponce (St. Louis)
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
I suggest these DO schools:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
VCOM (all schools)
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
TUNCOM
NYITCOM
UIWSOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
Thank you!
 
I'm planning on applying to Medical College of Wisconsin, Tufts (IS), Umass (IS), Drexel, Michigan State, Virginia Tech, Temple, Rush, Albany Med, UofKentucky, Penn State, Rosalind Franklin - Chicago, and some DO schools including Michigan State, PCOM, UNE, Rowan and Touro.
I have tons of research, clinical, and volunteering experience.
Because you are applying to both of MSU's schools, I would guess that you are a resident of Michigan. If that is the case, you should apply to Wayne, Oakland and Central. If you are a Michigan resident, you'll probably get into the MSU DO school.
 
With a 503, I can only echo what Dad has suggested for the MI schools, although U MI would be a donation.

You'll have far better success with DO schools, so I suggest any DO program, except the Touros, AZCOM and CCOM, for whom your MCAT is too low. I can't recommend LMU, SOMA, RVU, BCOM, ICOM for different reasons. Avoid those new schools that haven't graduated a class yet, if at all possible. Under no circumstances, even if it's your only A, can I recommend KS"com". See the thread about it in the DO med student forum to see why.