ICO acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ya...I was also curious if there was anything you regretted once you came to ICO or if there is something u feel u missed out on...

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Jay

Okay so first of all, for pros I would say
1) I absolutely LOVE the convenience of the RC (residential complex), especially on exam days where we take our tests at 8am..its nice to roll out of bed, take the exam, and go right back to bed :sleep:
2) I've already had two observations in the clinic and I've seen some amazing things. As I'm sure you've heard our patient base is very unique in terms of the demographics. You'll realize first hand how important Optometry is once you see the diseases and conditions the patients have.

3) The profs and students here are very helpful and encouraging. Everyone wants you to succeed here as we are all going to be OD's one day. Everyone is working towards the same goal and so you won't find that competitive environment as you will in undergrad. We have study groups, notetaker notes from each class, review sessions, group assignments etc.

Cons:

1) Travelling by train to go anywhere takes awhile, espcially coming from a city where it takes 15-20 min to get anywhere. However, travelling by car is much faster or taking a cab in a group is also quick.

2) Working your *** off, but then again that will happen at any school you go to :rolleyes:

Let me know if you guys have any other questions!

thanks for the reply optogirl......

I also plan on living in the RC my first year.......other than the convenience of living across the street from the school, how do you find living there? Any recommendations as far as what to bring (I've never lived in a dorm like residence before)?

Plus, I remember during my interview asking one of the students about WI-FI at the school and recall one of them telling me that the school was going to be getting it very soon....have you heard anything from that front?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The main things to bring would be bedding, like your blankets, pillows etc. Most students usually buy snacks and stuff to leave in their rooms but you can probably just buy that here instead of bringing it. Bring any decorative items you want to make your room a little more you...i brought tons of pictures, hockey memorabilia, etc. Everything else I bought here only because it was way easier to do than drag it all the way from home.

I read somewhere that you're coming from Canada so I don't think you'll have a whole lot of room to bring alot of stuff. I had the same problem so you can always ship it to the school right before you get here.

Sorry I forgot to answer your question about the wi-fi. From what I know so far, the wireless should be set up for you all when you get here in the fall. They are working right now to get the RC and library areas done first followed by the rest of the school. I'm sure they will be working alot over the summer so hopefully it will all be done before fall quarter starts. But either way all the rooms have internet hookups to plug directyly into your comp (by the way, dont forget to bring one of those internet cords as they dont supply them here). I don't think I know one person who brings their laptop to class so I don't even need wireless because I only use my computer in my room. Printers also aren't really necessary in first year because we have printers in the RC and in the library that you can use.

Hope that answers your questions!

i finally got in!!! I'm so happy...just want to thank everyone who offered me advice in this admissions process!

Thanks optogirl:).........Congrats leaves84 :thumbup:, remember to add your name to the list

I've finally decided on ICO!!! I'm so excited right now (especially since I definitely know where I want to go, finally) and can't wait to meet everyone in August!