ICO alternate list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjf223

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out today I am on the alternate list at ICO. :( This sucks because I am getting married in July and my fiance needs to know where to look for a job and who knows when I will have a final answer of if I am accepted or not. Let's say they call me a week before class starts and say they have a sopt for me...then what do I do. We are thinking of moving to Chicago and having her find a job there now as it could be hard for her to find a job where we live anyway (teacher), but it is a hard decision and I have no idea if I have a realistic chance to get in next year or not. This waiting game sure does suck...

Members don't see this ad.

when did u interview? i am still waiting to hear from ICO!

Members don't see this ad :)
i interviewed april 3rd and the class was just over 1/2 full - from what i understand, there are three options when a decision is made:

1. accepted
2. alternate list
3. rejected

My interview was March 22.

does that mean the class is full?

I interviewed mid March and the vice-president guy told me that they were ahead of schedule this year because of the large applicant pool. He told us they were expecting to be completely filled (with people making final decisions) around mid-April.

Wow guys, hang in there. When I interviewed December 1st, the admissions people mentioned to me this year was their largest and most competitive applicant pool thus far at ICO. Just be optimistic and cross those fingers.

when i interviewed in late march, they said there were ~30 seats open; meaning they received deposits already. I don't think it was a lil more then half, especially this late in the game.

I got alternate listed today...has anyone who interviewed recently been accepted?

when i interviewed in late march, they said there were ~30 seats open; meaning they received deposits already. I don't think it was a lil more then half, especially this late in the game.

I got alternate listed today...has anyone who interviewed recently been accepted?

Hey eyecare,

You OAT scores are awesome. I'm surprised you havent been accepted yet. Do you know what's holding you back? experience, volunteer, gpa, interview? I know my weakness is the interview. I just can't conquer my nervousness so I always ended up saying things that I'm not supposed to say...like "ums" argh.

At one my my interview, the interviewer asked "what compromise do optometrist have to their patients?" in my head i was like "what the heck, what does that mean." I asked him twice what does that mean and I still don't know what that question was asking. I just said some stuff and he moved onto another question. gosh. english is not my native language btw.

Clovers: probably my below average GPA was what held me back...or maybe the class is just full? Usually, when you're on the alternate list, that means you're qualified to be in the class, but there's no room for you.

I thought my interview went well. My interviewer told me she could tell i was determined to do optometry and was very professional.

For future reference, your question (at least how i would take it to mean) could be rephrased as, "what type of service are optometrists expected to give their patients?" or of it's using the word "compromise" specifically, then ,"How would you compromise with a patient in a given situation." In which you can say, you would give them your best service that's within your bounds of practice (insurance, AOA standards, etc.), and that you treat all patients just as equally. To "compromise" and give one patient benefits over others would be unfair.

Wow guys, hang in there. When I interviewed December 1st, the admissions people mentioned to me this year was their largest and most competitive applicant pool thus far at ICO. Just be optimistic and cross those fingers.

They have been saying this for the past 5 years.