ICO and NECO Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nuketheuke123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all!! I got accepted into a few optometry schools, but decided to attend NECO this coming fall.
Since the acceptance, I have been reading a lot of student blogs regarding optometry school because, well, I want to know more and can't wait to start!

I came across one student blog from ICO that talked about an injections lab where they practiced injecting eyes(!!!!) and lasik, among other things. I was not aware that optometry schools taught such things (because I've read many blogs and forums and this was the first time it was mentioned) and was wondering if all optometry schools teach their students these skills, or if it was just ICO.

I'm specifically wondering about NECO, especially after reading that Massachusetts has the most limited scope for optometrists (no injections, prescription of oral steroids and oral medication). Because NECO is located in such a heavily legislated state in terms of optometry, is their curriculum or clinical experience also limited? Would I be learning less skills than a student, let's say, at ICO?

If any current optometry students could share their experiences, that'd be great. Thanks!

*** I can't post a link, but if anyone is interested in reading the ICO blog you can google
"ICO blog Lasers, Injections, and a Little Bit of Blood: Oh M(eye)!" ***

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey

I can’t comment on ICO (got invited to interview, but never went), but NECO stated that though they do have a couple limitations for optometrists in the state, they will still teach you everything so that you’ll be able to practice where you’d like and however. So their curriculum won’t leave you at a disadvantage. I interviewed at NECO and got accepted as well.

Hey

I can’t comment on ICO (got invited to interview, but never went), but NECO stated that though they do have a couple limitations for optometrists in the state, they will still teach you everything so that you’ll be able to practice where you’d like and however. So their curriculum won’t leave you at a disadvantage. I interviewed at NECO and got accepted as well.

NECO has no curriculum for laser, injecting eye. the state does not allow optometrists do any treatment for glaucoma (but you can do it in all other 49 states), so basically the OD in this state can only Rx artificial tears, steroid eyedrops. Any antibiotics, glaucoma eyedrops are not allowed to be Rx by OD. Very strict.

Last edited: