ICO app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IcanSEEanOD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would include the class. As tempting as it may be, it will be on your transcript and they will see it there, whether it is on the pre-req worksheet or not. ICO gives you an opportunity at a file discussion on interview day to talk about any quarks in your file. If you leave it off your pre-req worksheet, they may ask you about it in the file review, which could pose an awkward or uncomfortable situation for you. My advice would be to be honest and include any and all extracurriculars. Even stuff like IM basketball which you might not think will look important, still shows you are well-rounded. Also, make sure to start researching interview questions at your schools of choice. The interviews are an important part of the process and it will be good to have some responses ready.

Good luck!

I was just wondering if anyone had filled out the ICO app yet and found that their pre-req gpa went down because ICO counts ALL science related classes and not just the prereq classes. I did bad in one bio class that I took after gen bio 1 and gen bio 2 and i was hoping it wouldn't factor in, but now it looks like it is just as important as gen bio 1 and gen bio 2. Do you think they would notice if I just left that one class off, (I did well in 3 other upper level bio classes) because my gpa would go up 0.15. I know I shouldn't but it is really tempting.

yeah, i had around 3.2 science but when i calculated my ICO science GPA it was like 3.15. yikes. i would feel really uneasy if i were you, to me, honesty is the best policy. but thats just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anyone had filled out the ICO app yet and found that their pre-req gpa went down because ICO counts ALL science related classes and not just the prereq classes. I did bad in one bio class that I took after gen bio 1 and gen bio 2 and i was hoping it wouldn't factor in, but now it looks like it is just as important as gen bio 1 and gen bio 2. Do you think they would notice if I just left that one class off, (I did well in 3 other upper level bio classes) because my gpa would go up 0.15. I know I shouldn't but it is really tempting.

I don't think it's a goo idea b/c they DO have your transcripts right in front of them when they are reviewing your application. Just better to be safe.

Absolutely DO NOT leave out the class - they have your transcripts! Their first impression of you really shouldn't be one of dishonesty. I seriously doubt that one class can have that substantial of an impact on your chances of admission. You earned the grade, so own up to it and work on showing them everything else that makes you an good candidate.

When I submitted my GPA worksheet to SCCO, i noticed they also calculated the GPA themselves and it turned out to be higher than what I got. I included all my classes that were somewhat remotely related to the pre-optometry curriculum. Apparently, there are some classes they don't bother looking at (which is good in my case) but I guess it's sometimes hard to tell. Just include everything unless they say otherwise i guess. But I'm not totally sure why they make us do this when they have our transcript and re-do the calculations themselves. I guess it has to do with verifying matriculation agreements or something