ICO conditional acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwantobe0D

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an acceptance letter from ICO, but it states that my acceptance is conditional and the conditional is that during my first year I will have no quarters with less than 2.25 GPA. And after the first year, I will have this condition removed and I will be same as other students. Any one else get this? I thought 2.25 was the lowest acceptable gpa for anyone. A bit confused.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
what was your gpa applying? with oat scores

Members don't see this ad :)
Gpa really low (3.05). Oat like 340/350
Hm that's interesting. Maybe others around your gpa range had this conditional acceptance. Your OAT was good. Regardless, it's nothing to worry about nor serious. You've been accepted and I'm sure maintaining above a 2.25 will be more than doable!

Reactions: 1 users
I may be mistaken but a 2.25 cumulative GPA is the lowest you can have and still graduate. However, you can pass a class with a C-. So if you have two years with C- scores in all classes, while you technically can pass them, you are below the threshold for good standing. If you are an A student with a 4.0 cumulative GPA but have a bad quarter and get C-'s in all of your classes, then you can still pass the quarter and not have to re-mediate, and you will still be in good standing because your GPA cumulatively is above 2.25.

The idea behind this is if you have a bad first year, you will have little buffer to stay in good standing, and you will probably drop out because 1) lack of the GPA buffer, and 2) it is a sign that you won't improve in future course since the material compounds on itself in the following courses.

School isn't that hard. The only things I can see why people would drop out is either because of personal/emotional/health problems or lack of interest. No class was unfair, no class didn't have supplementary books that were available in the library (so if you couldn't learn from the instructor, you could read on your own), no class was harder than difficulty of Board Exams (which in itself wasn't very hard either). Even if you didn't attend class, lectures are video-recorded.

Last edited:
I got an acceptance letter from ICO, but it states that my acceptance is conditional and the conditional is that during my first year I will have no quarters with less than 2.25 GPA. And after the first year, I will have this condition removed and I will be same as other students. Any one else get this? I thought 2.25 was the lowest acceptable gpa for anyone. A bit confused.
That's weird, someone else just posted about getting accepted to ICO in this forum. He/she had the same gpa and a worse OAT but they got a scholarship plus free dorming... How were ur extracurriculars?

Reactions: 2 users
That's weird, someone else just posted about getting accepted to ICO in this forum. He/she had the same gpa and a worse OAT but they got a scholarship plus free dorming... How were ur extracurriculars?
I had 200+ hours of shadowing and over 1 year of optical experience including lab experience.

Maybe call in admissions and ask to talk to them more about this and why you were given the conditional? It doesnt seem to be a huge concern but it would be nice to hear from them their reasoning

So i called ICO this morning. Hope this helps anyone in the same situation. Basically, a 2.25 is the minimum requirement for all students, but for students with conditions, they must meet an advisor every quarter to discuss the progress in the quarter and if they need any academic help or suggestions. It’s not that a 2.25 is an automatic boot from ICO. So the conditions are set to help those with lower undergrad gpas and this is nothing to be afraid of....in fact it’s good to know that the school wants to help us.

Reactions: 2 users
It's not an automatic boot if you drop below 2.25 cumulative, but you will be on probation because you are not in good standing, which could subsequently lead to dismissal if you can't keep afloat above 2.25 in the next quarter.

Reactions: 1 user