ICO...entering class

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone from ICO could tell me if I correct in my understanding. I've heard they fail 10% of their 1st year students after their first year. I didn't know if there was any validity to this statement or if I had just heard a urban legend.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Ryan_eyeball said:
I was wondering if someone from ICO could tell me if I correct in my understanding. I've heard they fail 10% of their 1st year students after their first year. I didn't know if there was any validity to this statement or if I had just heard a urban legend.

Thanks!!

I am starting at ICO this fall and I, too, heard something similard to that from an Optometrist who graduated from another school several years ago. I have no idea if it's true, but in the same vein, when I interviewed at PCO, the student tour guides told me that 10% of their 1st year classes typically don't return for 2nd year. She didn't say whether it was because they failed, had a change of heart, or whatever.

I'm a 3rd year at ICO. The school does not try to fail anyone. The professors of available to get help from, and they are very willing. We also have a free tutoring service. Anyone can get as much free tutoring as they want. The best or the worst student in the class can get tutors 7 days a week if they want. If you are having trouble on quarter, <2.00, you are put on academic probation. All that means is that in the next quarter you have to get above a 2.00. If that does not happen, you are put in front of a board of faculty and a student, and they determine if you will be allowed to continue or if you have to repeat the year. If you just fail one class, you have to retake the final...and pass. If you still don't pass you have to remediate the class over the summer (that only works for your first summer b/c the rest of them you don't have off). The highest grade you can then get is a D, even if you ace it while retaking it.

My class started w/ 167 students, we are now at about 152. We have lost some, and gained some. Some students that should be in the 4th year class are now in ours, and some of those from my class are now one year behind.

Basically, you will hear lot of rumors at ICO. We all call it the ICO rumor mill. After your first test, you will be told by some 2nd year that the reason it is taking so long to get it back is b/c you all did so poorly that they are trying to figure out what they should do with the class.

The school wishes every student would move on, b/c when someone doesn't make it, the school does not get their tuition check the next year.

See you soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that rumor exists because third quarter of 1st year is much harder than 1st and 2nd quarters.

Eyegirl.

Ryan_eyeball said:

Thanks!!

i think with every school out there, there is a certain professor who is harder on students (and is known as the failing professor). i'm sure this is the case here as well. plus, usually if you pass 1st year, 2nd year should be a piece of cake

drbizzaro said:
i think with every school out there, there is a certain professor who is harder on students (and is known as the failing professor). i'm sure this is the case here as well. plus, usually if you pass 1st year, 2nd year should be a piece of cake

Thanks for all the information on ICO

maiday919 said:
actually, i've heard from several ppl at ICO that the second year is "academically the hardest". i'm wondering if upperclassmen at ICO agree with this?

I totally disagree with those people. The only people who think it is harder are the ones who can memorize biochemistry, but can't for the life of them diagnose a disease or do BIO. I found it so funny when people in the class had difficulty with ophthalmic optic when they had aced the other optics courses. That is because in ophthalmic optics you have to apply optics to real lenses and it no longer is just numbers on a page. For me that is better, because I can figure out what should happen, and I would not have to use calculations as much. I'll give them that pharmacology is pretty tough, but at least I'm not memorizing the pentose-phosphate pathway...I still don't get that thing! These are the students who should stay in academia and not ever practice in the real world. 2nd year is more clinically relevant, I found it much better than first year.

I a nut shell, everyone finds certain things difficult. To me, that was first year. To the 4.0's in the class, that was 2nd year. But we all agree on 3rd year, it is much much MUCH better than either 1st or 2nd.

maiday919 said:
actually, i've heard from several ppl at ICO that the second year is "academically the hardest". i'm wondering if upperclassmen at ICO agree with this?

according to some friends, 1st year is harder because of the amount of classes

maiday919 said:
Thanks for your input. I'm happy to hear that it does get better! Now, I just need to get through the next 2 years of hell? hehehe

just look at school as a one year at a time deal... that way you dont get too stressed over the workload... some people will try and think "only 10 more months to go", but that usually causes much more stress than need be...

rpames said:
I totally disagree with those people. The only people who think it is harder are the ones who can memorize biochemistry, but can't for the life of them diagnose a disease or do BIO. I found it so funny when people in the class had difficulty with ophthalmic optic when they had aced the other optics courses. That is because in ophthalmic optics you have to apply optics to real lenses and it no longer is just numbers on a page. For me that is better, because I can figure out what should happen, and I would not have to use calculations as much. I'll give them that pharmacology is pretty tough, but at least I'm not memorizing the pentose-phosphate pathway...I still don't get that thing! These are the students who should stay in academia and not ever practice in the real world. 2nd year is more clinically relevant, I found it much better than first year.

I a nut shell, everyone finds certain things difficult. To me, that was first year. To the 4.0's in the class, that was 2nd year. But we all agree on 3rd year, it is much much MUCH better than either 1st or 2nd.

rpames, do you think we first years need to purchase any books for this upcoming quarter?

scraders said:
rpames, do you think we first years need to purchase any books for this upcoming quarter?

Yes you do, but you could just wait until you get here and the prof tells you what you need. Also, sometimes upper class men will sell there books to you. We do not have used books in the book store. I would think this is because the books are updated so often, they would be stuck with out-dated material. All the text books are on reserve in the library also, so if you need to read something before you have your own copy, you can check them out. I know several people will tell you that you do not need to buy any texts. I don't think they are right. They always say that you can just use the library's copy, that is true while you are a student, but what about when you graduate and are in practice? Every quarter I buy 2 or 3 books, that way I will have one hell of a medical/ophthalmic library for my practice. Also, this way it only costs me a couple hundred dollars at a time. If I were to buy all these books after I graduate it would be several thousand.

Your physiology and biochemistry texts from undergrad will be just fine for those classes, but you may want to look for Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. That is a book almost every buys.

rpames said:
Yes you do, but you could just wait until you get here and the prof tells you what you need. Also, sometimes upper class men will sell there books to you. We do not have used books in the book store. I would think this is because the books are updated so often, they would be stuck with out-dated material. All the text books are on reserve in the library also, so if you need to read something before you have your own copy, you can check them out. I know several people will tell you that you do not need to buy any texts. I don't think they are right. They always say that you can just use the library's copy, that is true while you are a student, but what about when you graduate and are in practice? Every quarter I buy 2 or 3 books, that way I will have one hell of a medical/ophthalmic library for my practice. Also, this way it only costs me a couple hundred dollars at a time. If I were to buy all these books after I graduate it would be several thousand.

Your physiology and biochemistry texts from undergrad will be just fine for those classes, but you may want to look for Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy. That is a book almost every buys.

thanks a lot, rpames...i guess i won't be hitting the bookstore any time before school starts, since i don't need to compete with other students for used books to purchase. i'll just wait to see which books my professors recommend. i too would like to build a medical/ophthalmic library. does your collection consist of only the required books?

i love netter's atlas. the illustrations are very accurate to what i found in my undergrad lab (and they're not all plastic models, either). rather than going to the evening/weekend open labs to learn the different parts of the body, i just used this book to prepare for all of my lab practicals, and it worked out great.

scraders said:
does your collection consist of only the required books?

No, in fact many of my books are not even on the list of texts. I also do not buy every required book. I will often buy the book when I find out that I need to look at something in it. Last quarter I did not buy the book until there were only 3 weeks left of class. Basically, if I need to use the book a couple times, and it is a good book, I'll go and buy it.

Example of a bad buy: Guyton & Hall's Textbook of Medical Physiology. I think that book sucks. The text is not very clear and the figures are only in black and red. I plan to never look at that book again. I used my Human Physiology book from undergrad most of time instead.

Good buy: Primary Care of Posterior Segment. That book was not on the list of req. text, but I looked at it and said to myself, "I will probably use this for years to come!" So, I dropped $141.95 (I always put the receipt in the back b/c it will fun to look at in 30 years) and I am very happy with it.