ICO, PCO, or NECO??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what you thought is the better school ICO, PCO, or NECO? Please try to give legit reasons instead of just supporting the current school you go to or attended. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only give my opinion on ICO and NECO. I would go to ICO because of the reputation it has. ICO has better board scores and from my own observation better facilities. The thing i hate about NECO the most is that its clinical area is not within walking distance. I really like ICO a lot because of its clinicals and because of the new technology it has.

Both are great schools

I was wondering what you thought is the better school ICO, PCO, or NECO? Please try to give legit reasons instead of just supporting the current school you go to or attended. Thanks in advance.

I applied to all three. More than by anything else, my decision probably was influenced by my visits the the schools (for interviews). Really, I think you have to go to develop a feel for where you might like to spend (at least) four years of your life.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
going to pco will be the biggest mistake of your life. talk to student who goes there and they will tell you the political bull and lies that goes on here.

going to pco will be the biggest mistake of your life. talk to student who goes there and they will tell you the political bull and lies that goes on here.

why do you say that? what experience or evidence do you have?

don't listen to that...PCO is a great school.

ICO - I've only ever heard good things about this school. I would have loved to go there. The facilities and the overall education seem to be really good.

PCO - I went to undergrad in Philly, so I'm accustomed to the area, but it takes some time getting used to if your not used to city life. There is a lot of crime, and the location of the clinic is considered one of the more "ghetto" areas of philly.

Overall I think PCO feels safer. The clinic may be in a sketchy area, but the school is in the suburbs, surrounded by big beautiful homes.

At ICO the clinic AND the school are in a sketchy area. Did NOT get a good feel from that area at all.

SikhAngel - weren't you waitlisted for PCO? Have you heard anything yet? Good luck!

It's unfortunate this post occurs so early in this thread, as it may poison the original poster's mind. This member (Shameful1) seems either to be a troll or a jaded P.C.O.-applicant; his/her remarks (here and the one other thread in which she/he has written) amount to nothing more than angry, baseless raving.

My brief impressions (I'll omit those of S.U.N.Y., as you didn't ask):

N.E.C.O.: Overall, too suburban an environment for my taste: the area is pretty, but I didn't want to live in it for so long. The school, itself, is in an older building, but it's hardly "run down." Option exists of an O.D.–M.S. program. I didn't extensively explore housing in the neighborhood.

P.C.O.: The campus is beautiful (and I don't think you'll ever encounter a finer fitness center). The clinic is a few miles south of the college, where a larger and more diverse population is available, and though the structure is on the older side (classes were taught there, years ago, but it now serves only as the school's clinic), it's certainly functional. No M.S. in vision science is offered, though Salus University does provide Master's degrees in related fields, and they can be attained alongside the O.D. Nearby residences seemed to range from shoddy to nice.

I.C.O.: Also has a very attractive campus; the clinic is connected to the main building of the college. The school is ~.5–1 mile east of central Chicago, quite near Lake Michigan. The college's Residential Complex is a block away from campus, and, though it looks reasonably well-maintained, I feel it is over-priced; other housing options appeared to be costly or crappy. In co-operation with the University of Chicago, one may enroll in a joint O.D.–M.S. program.

Again, these are simply my sentiments regarding these institutions; note many of them are completely subjective (we might whether a school offers an M.S., but what does it mean to you that I didn't want to live in Boston?). Ultimately, even after hearing what others have to say (which there's nothing wrong with doing), you'll have to yourself visit the places that interest you to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the information,

I guess what I was really looking to ask, if you had to pick between these 3 schools (ICO, PCO, NECO), which one would you pick and why?

Thanks for all the information,

I guess what I was really looking to ask, if you had to pick between these 3 schools (ICO, PCO, NECO), which one would you pick and why?

For this thread maybe to be more helpful to you, maybe you could answer these questions:

Have you visited any of these schools? If so, what were your impressions, upon doing so?

Why are these the three colleges in which you're interested? Do any others hold your fancy? If so, which ones, and why?

In what sort of environment might you like to live during your education? In what sort do you live, now? Are you looking to maintain that atmosphere or to change it?

Are you seeking any special offerings from your school (e.g., the opportunity to complete a residency in a certain area)?

How far from home do you want to be?

If you're hoping someone will tell you how great just any one of these schools is, you might be disappointed: There're no rankings for colleges of optometry, and none of the three you've mentioned (I.C.O., P.C.O., N.E.C.O.) can objectively be claimed as superior to either of the others; rather, the responses you receive probably will come from people's own answers to the sorts of questions above. So, how would you respond to them?

I see your point Commando303, but I already know my answers to these questions. I picked these three schools because they are the ones I got into and trying to pick which one to go to so I wanted to see what others thought of these schools and which they would pick. I know in the end I will be making the decision based on what I want, but I just wanted to see what others thought of these schools. Thanks.

Since all three schools will provide you with a good OD program, the decision often has more to do with the non-academic and non-clinical aspects: cost of tuition and housing, ability to have a car, etc...

NECO: Love the city of Boston, but it is the most expensive of the three schools at 36K/year, plus it's the most expensive in terms of housing too (sharing a 2 bedroom apt. will cost you $900 to $1,000/month each). If you have a car and want to keep it, you will most likely have to pay for a parking spot (if you live in the back bay area near the school), or live away from the school and take the T each day, as there is no parking at the school. Clinic not attached to school. Class size about 115.

ICO: Great city but sketchy area. Tuition runs $30K/yr. Although they say living in the RC is optional, students there said if you don't, you're kind of an outsider. NOT interested in a dorm situation ever again. Also, you can keep a car, but it will cost you. Housing costs are somewhat lower than boston, (sharing a 2 bedroom will run you $800/month each) but still $$. Also has the worst winter weather of the three. Clinic attached to school. Class size 165.

PCO: More suburban area yet just a 20 min train ride to the city. Driveable/able to keep car with no real parking issues or fees to park. Tuition $30K. Cheapest in terms of housing (can share a 2 bedroom for $600/month each). Clinic not attached to school. Class size also about 165.

Of course, as others have said, there's also how far you want to be away from home, do you have any family or friends in the general vicinity, etc...