ICO Students: RC

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSpontaneouz83

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To live or not to live in the RC is the question. Originally I was considering living off campus in an apt. or possibly even purchasing real estate. Well, to be honest I am in Maryland and it's difficult to take time off work to travel and investigate. So I am strongly considering living in the RC. For those of you who live there is it comfortable? When I stayed for the interview, it looked depressing. Do you guys feel that way? Also, I would like to bring my car, how much do they charge for parking and where do you park it? Was it really beneficial to study there? How is the set-up for the single double suites?

Thanks a million! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'll be living in the RC in the fall. It seems so much more convenient to be living right across from the school, especially for the first year. That way I'll get to know the area a little more before I potentially decide to live somewhere else. .. By the way I'm still waiting on info from ICO on the RC regarding the fall.. did you happen to receive anything?

About the parking, If I remember correctly I think they told us parking in the garage was about $300/quarter. The garage is connected to the school, in doors and card accessible. Won't have to worry about plowing your car out of the snow ;)

I'm not even bring my car to school .. so that doesn't even apply to me.. I guess I'll have to learn the public transportation system, or get a ride from someone else.

Hey,

I'll be living in the RC in the fall. It seems so much more convenient to be living right across from the school, especially for the first year. That way I'll get to know the area a little more before I potentially decide to live somewhere else. .. By the way I'm still waiting on info from ICO on the RC regarding the fall.. did you happen to receive anything?

About the parking, If I remember correctly I think they told us parking in the garage was about $300/quarter. The garage is connected to the school, in doors and card accessible. Won't have to worry about plowing your car out of the snow ;)

I'm not even bring my car to school .. so that doesn't even apply to me.. I guess I'll have to learn the public transportation system, or get a ride from someone else.

careful there buddy! from what i heard, a few students have gotten mugged on the public transportation systems by ICO (you can get the stats by calling the ICO security dept)

Members don't see this ad :)
parking is either $500 or $600/3quarters, I don't recall exactly.

Living in the RC is convient the first year, and it helps to get to know people and make friends. Some of my friends that lived off campus complained that it was difficult at first to connect with others. However, getting stuck with a roomate in a double room sucks. And those rooms aren't very big either.

To live or not to live in the RC is the question. Originally I was considering living off campus in an apt. or possibly even purchasing real estate. Well, to be honest I am in Maryland and it's difficult to take time off work to travel and investigate. So I am strongly considering living in the RC. For those of you who live there is it comfortable? When I stayed for the interview, it looked depressing. Do you guys feel that way? Also, I would like to bring my car, how much do they charge for parking and where do you park it? Was it really beneficial to study there? How is the set-up for the single double suites?

Thanks a million! :D

Hey Drspontaneouz83,
I also stayed at the RC for my interview, and i have to admit, it was kinda depressing, but I feel it might be even more depressing (at least for me) staying in an apartment in a whole new place, at least at the RC you can easily meet people, and I also heard that the students there also have study sessions once in a while which is very convenient! I think its a good place to stay your first year and get the hang of things and then 2nd year move out into an apartment. Thats just my opinion, im not sure yet where ill stay either, I havent even fully decided if I'm going to go to ICO for sure.

For those that go there, is a car absoloutley needed?? I'm coming from California (if I decide to go) and I will not bring my car, I know clinic is right across the street from the RC but like for 2nd year are apartments close enough to walk to campus (or is it safe enough?)

Thanks! :)

Thanks a lot people, I appreciate the advice. Well I am definitely bringing my car, I HATE the public transportation sytem and I like my sense of independence. Yea, when I was in Chicago with friends 2 weeks ago I was a little freaked out how spooky the train system was, I can only imagine being alone. However, for those of you without cars can always ride with me and pimp out the city hehe. I am pretty sure I'll stay in the RC in the fall. I believe we begin receiving information about the RC in May, according to Student Affairs.

Thanks a lot people, I appreciate the advice. Well I am definitely bringing my car, I HATE the public transportation sytem and I like my sense of independence. Yea, when I was in Chicago with friends 2 weeks ago I was a little freaked out how spooky the train system was, I can only imagine being alone. However, for those of you without cars can always ride with me and pimp out the city hehe. I am pretty sure I'll stay in the RC in the fall. I believe we begin receiving information about the RC in May, according to Student Affairs.

yeah, good choice to bring your ride! i have friends (of friends) who go to ICO, and from what they say, there's been enough trouble on that public transportation system to scare people to stay away... stolen wallets while not watching, being mugged right on the train in broad daylight!, being held up by 2 huge guys...

Hmmm, ok. I didn't think it was THAT bad, just thought it looked a little run down. I was on the train with little old women, they seemed to be fine lol. I'm from D.C. so I'm used to everything being "pretty" and "fancy" in the city. The train system here is nice. If you think Chicago is bad though, you should see NY.

I'm planning on staying in the RC next year as well, and i'm debating as to whether or not I should bring my car. One of my concerns is the difficulty parking. On campus parking seems fine, not too expensive and underground, so no snow scraping! :) But i noticed when i was in chicago that parking in the city seemed to be hard to find and quite expensive. So i was thinking of just leaving my car at home, at least for first year while i'm living in the RC. BUT, if the public transportation system is as bad as it sounds, maybe i need to rethink my plan....

I'm planning on staying in the RC next year as well, and i'm debating as to whether or not I should bring my car. One of my concerns is the difficulty parking. On campus parking seems fine, not too expensive and underground, so no snow scraping! :) But i noticed when i was in chicago that parking in the city seemed to be hard to find and quite expensive. So i was thinking of just leaving my car at home, at least for first year while i'm living in the RC. BUT, if the public transportation system is as bad as it sounds, maybe i need to rethink my plan....

actually... why dont you send a message out to all the ICO students out there asking for any incidents they know of being mugged... i'm sure they'll elaborate on any incidents (and which places to avoid in the city)

actually... why dont you send a message out to all the ICO students out there asking for any incidents they know of being mugged... i'm sure they'll elaborate on any incidents (and which places to avoid in the city)

In 41 days I'll be graduating from ICO. I am married so I never lived in the RC, but if I were single, I would have definitely stayed in the RC my first year. The people who lived there had a much closer relationship faster than I was able to make. Now, I feel I am as close as they are to friends. I also did live in an area off campus with many ICO students around.

As far as the the safety of the neighborhood. It is not great, but I don't think you are going to get mugged every time you go outside. I never was mugged and I left the school late at night many times.

And a side note, women look away.....ATTENTION SINGLE MALES!!!! ICO's entering class has been 70%+ female for the past 4 years! I would highly advise single men to live in the RC!;) I do not support the "player" lifestyle, but you could have a good time.

In 41 days I'll be graduating from ICO. I am married so I never lived in the RC, but if I were single, I would have definitely stayed in the RC my first year. The people who lived there had a much closer relationship faster than I was able to make. Now, I feel I am as close as they are to friends. I also did live in an area off campus with many ICO students around.

As far as the the safety of the neighborhood. It is not great, but I don't think you are going to get mugged every time you go outside. I never was mugged and I left the school late at night many times.

And a side note, women look away.....ATTENTION SINGLE MALES!!!! ICO's entering class has been 70%+ female for the past 4 years! I would highly advise single men to live in the RC!;) I do not support the "player" lifestyle, but you could have a good time.

5 weeks, and counting! :thumbup:

By the way I'm still waiting on info from ICO on the RC regarding the fall.. did you happen to receive anything?

I talked to Sharon in Student Affairs yesterday and she said info on the RC would be out in 2-3 weeks. Also, she said that all the apartments are filled with the upperclassmen, so it's only the suites left (unless by some crazy chance someone withdraws, but it is rare). Just thought you all might be wondering like I was...