ICO v.s. IUSO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi, I recently received the admission from both ICO and IUSO?

I know that both of these schools are great but I have problem choosing between those two. I really love ICO since they have RC and their clinics is really close but I have googles that the area around ICO is not really safe. Is that true? Can anyone give me some advice?

Members don't see this ad.

congrats! the safety around ICO was also one of my initial concerns as well when deciding which school I wanted to attend, i was stuck between NECO and ICO though. I was lucky enough to tour ICO in 2019 during one of their interview days which I am really thankful for because it helped me to make my decision. ICO is about 10 minutes away from downtown toward south Chicago. I didn't really feel unsafe when I took the bus down there so that was reassuring. They also seemed to have a really good campus security team and cameras all around the main building and RC. Some of their cameras also have views of the nearby bus stops and I believe there is always someone on duty. At night they also have a shuttle that can take you from campus to an off-campus apartment in a certain radius. At the entrances, there was a receptionist or security officer that checks you in or you have to show your ID too. All the ICO students I also spoke to said they felt overall safe. They said they just avoid walking alone at night in the dark which I would advise in any city. Hope that helped!!

I was actually between these two schools too, and paid both deposits because I was so stuck between them! Ultimately, I ended with ICO. I went to undergrad in Chicago, and love the city and ICO has always been my top choice. IUSO faculty and students felt more welcoming, but once I visited I just couldn’t see myself in a college town like Bloomington for the next few years. Additionally, ICO has newer facilities and their clinic sees a variety of patients. The area is not the best area in the city, you can’t walk alone at night/have to be alert but that’s anywhere in the city to be honest. I see the area as a pro in some senses too though. You get to see a variety of patients from all backgrounds in their clinic, and have the opportunity to give back to the surrounding community through volunteer work. Living in the dorms is safe (I’ve heard from a friend who goes there) and if you want to live in an apartment you can live in neighborhoods a few minutes north and feel safe. However, I would say if one school is cheaper than the other consider that too. Both were basically the same for me so I chose where I felt more comfortable/better investment. Either way you’ll get a great education and should be very proud!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your information.

I messaged the current students. They said they did't feel unsafe while they are on campus so I think I will choose ICO.

Last edited: