ICOM vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulhumor

Reaction score
ICOM (Boise, ID)
Pros
  • Closer to support system
  • Beautiful facility, Apple certified campus (provide iPads)

Cons
  • For profit status??
  • Newer than UIWSOM

UIWSOM (San Antonio, TX)
Pros
  • More diverse student body
  • More campus orgs than ICOM

Cons
  • Pricier
  • Further from family/friends

Summary: I am pretty torn on what to do here. I am still waiting on other interview outcomes but have to deposit at ICOM soon if I want to keep that as an option! Thanks for any input you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

UIWSOM for sure. ICOM is not a good school if you have other options.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you seen how far apart ICOM’s rotation sites are? Aren’t they anywhere from Idaho to the Dakotas, New York, and somewhere in the Deep South?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
UIW refuses to post their last COMLEX data, which is very concerning.
Still better than ICOM though. I think a UIWSOM student posted way back that their comlex pass rate was ~84% or something like that.

Edit: here is the thread ARCOM, UIWSOM, and RVU-UTAH: First COMLEX pass rates and averages
Also, just figured out @jkdoctor = @msnbc2020 from that thread lol. I was starting to wonder what happened to him because I haven't seen a "whoot whoot whoot" thread in a while around here.

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you to all of you for your input! I have two more interviews scheduled so these may not be my only options but I think I will opt to not deposit at ICOM.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you heard about the UIW curriculum? I can't say that I would be thrilled about all essay exams and their just overall weird teaching methods. It is something that you should look into before making a decision about it.

1. Go ICOM - 93% first time pass rate
2. Amazing staff and faculty from other colleges
3. OMM Library built at ICOM and is used by other DO colleges throughout the country
4. Rotation sites are all over Idaho and the 5 state region - that's kinda the point. Idaho is expansive and mostly desert and mountain. Of course their sites are going to be spread out.
5. Neither have graduated students - so the "established" nonsense is moot.
6. Idaho is gorgeous and Boise is so so so safe to live in.

Also, I just saw you decided not to go to ICOM - hopefully, others will maybe take the word of future ICOM students (myself) or the previous ones on the thread who have dispelled all of these rumors.

1. Go ICOM - 93% first time pass rate
2. Amazing staff and faculty from other colleges
3. OMM Library built at ICOM and is used by other DO colleges throughout the country
4. Rotation sites are all over Idaho and the 5 state region - that's kinda the point. Idaho is expansive and mostly desert and mountain. Of course their sites are going to be spread out.
5. Neither have graduated students - so the "established" nonsense is moot.
6. Idaho is gorgeous and Boise is so so so safe to live in.

Also, I just saw you decided not to go to ICOM - hopefully, others will maybe take the word of future ICOM students (myself) or the previous ones on the thread who have dispelled all of these rumors.
@voppp , I think it is a great school, too! I ended up getting into other schools (besides ICOM and UIW) that work better location wise and the only thing that really turned me off from ICOM was how quickly I was expected to deposit. Other than that, one of my close friends is an OMS2 and absolutely loves it! I hope you'll love it, too.

@voppp , I think it is a great school, too! I ended up getting into other schools (besides ICOM and UIW) that work better location wise and the only thing that really turned me off from ICOM was how quickly I was expected to deposit. Other than that, one of my close friends is an OMS2 and absolutely loves it! I hope you'll love it, too.

That's fair. However, the deposit time is worse for some other schools *cough* TUNCOM *cough*

Does anyone here have any input on NYIT-AR or UIWSOM? I have to decide whether to pay a deposit to NYIT in 2 days and still unclear on what to do. @voppp @DrStephenStrange
Uh I got into both places - I’d go with UIWSOM. I find their curriculum more in line with the osteopathic philosophy and like the way they break down the units. They also had great matches this year (as far as I know). I liked NYIT but they didn’t have the same “oomph” I was looking for. However, SA is less safe than Jonesboro if that matters.

Does either of you think it matters that UIW isn’t fully accredited yet? Or their poor COMLEX scores? I feel neutral about both but those are the more upfront things that concern me with UIW. @voppp @DrStephenStrange
They should be fully accredited this month as they graduate their first class.

NYIT-AR had low COMLEX pass rate for their first couple classes too.

Does either of you think it matters that UIW isn’t fully accredited yet? Or their poor COMLEX scores? I feel neutral about both but those are the more upfront things that concern me with UIW. @voppp @DrStephenStrange

UIW should be accredited by the 2021 start date. Idk I'm attending a non-accredited school. It's not really an issue to me, but some people have real issues with it.