ICU books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zan3310

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello-
I am looking for advice on ICU text... I've heard good things about The ICU book, and there was this one procedures text that someone mentioned that I can't recall the title.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

zan3310 said:
Hello-
I am looking for advice on ICU text... I've heard good things about The ICU book, and there was this one procedures text that someone mentioned that I can't recall the title.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Marino: ICU book is the gold standard.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think ICU recall and the Handbook of Critical Care do nicely.

Y

Scott_L said:
Marino: ICU book is the gold standard.

Marino is good, but it is somewhat dated (last edition was from '97 I believe) -- Pre-ARDS net. The book contains alot of good descriptions of physiology relevant to the ICU, but in terms of management issues and answers to specific questions, I felt it was a mixed bag overall.

Good alternatives?

For general concepts, the vent chapters in the Washington Manual, I felt, was a great place to start.

Other great resources from the 1o literature that form the bedrock of modern ICU care:
1. On early goal-directed therapy for the treatment of sepsis:
Early Goal-Directed Therapy in the Treatment of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock
Rivers E., Nguyen B., Havstad S., Ressler J., Muzzin A., Knoblich B., Peterson E., Tomlanovich M., the Early Goal-Directed Therapy Collaborative Group
N Engl J Med 2001; 345:1368-1377, Nov 8, 2001.

2. On Xigris therapy (activated protein C)
Bernard GR, Vincent J-L, Laterre P-F, et al. Efficacy and safety of recombinant human activated protein C for severe sepsis. N Engl J Med 2001;344:699-709.

3. On Low Vs. high (or standard) tidal volume ventilation in ARDS (ARDSnet)
The Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome Network. Ventilation with lower tidal volumes as compared with traditional tidal volumes for acute lung injury and the acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:1301-1308.

4. On intensive BG control in the ICU setting
Intensive Insulin Therapy in Critically Ill Patients
Van den Berghe G., Wouters P., Weekers F., Verwaest C., Bruyninckx F., Schetz M., Vlasselaers D., Ferdinande P., Lauwers P., Bouillon R.
N Engl J Med 2001; 345:1359-1367, Nov 8, 2001.

5. Acute adrenal insufficiency and steroid replacement in the ICU
Current Concepts: Corticosteroid Insufficiency in Acutely Ill Patients
Cooper M. S., Stewart P. M.
N Engl J Med 2003; 348:727-734, Feb 20, 2003.

Others may like to add their personal favorites....this list is neither comprehensive nor complete.

Enjoy your time in the ICU, its an exiciting place! I learned alot in just 1 month.

-PB