ICU reqs for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gisnap

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to do a search of the ABA web site, internet, and SDN for the current requirement for ICU for residency. The last I've heard is that it's 4 months. I am thinking about doing 2 in internship. Is there anywhere I can find the specifics on these requirements? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I just read this the other day on the ASA site. I'll see if I can't find the link. In the meantime, I believe for residents starting July 08 the new requirement is 6months of ICU, 2 of which may be completed during intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops looks like it is 4 months...thanks for the link.

Here it is

"Experiences in perioperative care must include rotations in critical care medicine, acute perioperative and chronic pain management, preoperative evaluation, and postanesthesia care. These experiences must consist of at least four months of distinct progressive rotations in critical care medicine; at least three months in pain medicine that may include one month in an acute perioperative pain management rotation, one month in a rotation for the assessment and treatment of inpatients and outpatients with chronic pain problems, and one month of regional analgesia experience in pain medicine; one month in a preoperative evaluation clinic; and 0.5 month in a postanesthesia care unit. The Review Committee will allow two months of critical care medicine and one month of pain medicine experiences to occur during the Clinical Base Year."

What about for those already in residency?
Are we able to graduate under the old guidelines?
I tried but failed to find this info on the acgme site.

I think that if you are in residency already you still follow the old guidelines of 3 ICU months. The changes take place for people entering this year and starting their CA-1 in July 2009.