ICU rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

relish

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone here done a rotation in the ICU? If so, do you recommend waiting until the 4th year?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done a couple, both during third year. I don't think you need to wait until fourth year, although doing Internal Medicine before an ICU rotation would be a good idea.

It's a good learning environment any time....more medicine, less social work than wards are.

If you want to get the chance to do any procedures, either do it late 3rd year or middle of 4th (Dec, Jan-ish of 4th). If you do it early 4th year, all the new interns will need the procedures, so you won't get the chance. Don't do it late in your 4th year, because the last couple of months, you should be taking it easy and doing cake rotations.

I am doing ICU now (as my next to last rotation - I must be a glutton for punishment), and boomer is right about procedures. The residents are willing to let me put in central lines - something that probably wouldn't have happened early in the year.

I don't think it matters if it is in your third or fourth year, because the ICU is so much different than any other part of the hospital. The patients are on different meds, you write your notes differently (in a system-based fashion), you present on rounds differently, and then, there is the bane of my existence - mechanical ventilation.

Definitely try to do an ICU rotation before you graduate. This is only my first week and I have already learned so much. I can't imagine going into my internship not having any ICU experience, and being the one who has to make decisions about the ICU patients' care.