ICU rotation

ami1983

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2008
  1. Medical Student
    didn't find a recent thread about this- recommendations for books/apps/etc to use in preparing for a surgical ICU rotation? I need to honor this, so any advice would be helpful. TIA!

MeRLin443

10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jun 22, 2008
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      didn't find a recent thread about this- recommendations for books/apps/etc to use in preparing for a surgical ICU rotation? I need to honor this, so any advice would be helpful. TIA!

The icu book by Marino is excellent. It does a great job of explaining the physiology behind critical care.

grayscaleart

5+ Year Member
      Jul 8, 2011
        The icu book by Marino is excellent. It does a great job of explaining the physiology behind critical care.

i hate that book. i just bought the Washington Manual of Critical Care. It's smaller and has useful algorithms that carries over to other non ICU rotations. I also just finished reading this www.ascca.org/pdfs/residents-guide-2009.pdf

otherwise, you cant really do much. practice how to do compressions and you can look like a stud if you do it right :D

About the Ads

NRAI2001

3K Member
        15+ Year Member
        Nov 6, 2001
        Cali
          Both of those books are kinda long and dry IMHO... I think uptodate.com is probably your best resource or even just step up to medicine.. Honestly the ICU isnt too much different than the regular floors. Once you understand ventillators the rest is pretty similar. Patient are just on drips and sedated...

ami1983

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jul 16, 2008
          1. Medical Student
            Both of those books are kinda long and dry IMHO... I think uptodate.com is probably your best resource or even just step up to medicine.. Honestly the ICU isnt too much different than the regular floors. Once you understand ventillators the rest is pretty similar. Patient are just on drips and sedated...

ok, any suggestions for learning ventilators?

NRAI2001

3K Member
            15+ Year Member
            Nov 6, 2001
            Cali
              ok, any suggestions for learning ventilators?

Uptodate I guess is pretty good...but after a week on my ICU rotation I felt pretty comfortable playing with the ventillators, where as previously I was scared to death of even touching them. I guess you can read up on ARDS bc its probably the best case to study to really start to understand vents..

Cali2

Apr 15, 2012
              1. Resident [Any Field]
                Would like to second The ICU Book, by Marino. Very clear and readable, provides lots of background information.

Some other concepts to know, that might be helpful if going for honors:
                -Concept of early goal directed therapy for sepsis, there's a classic paper on this topic that would be worth reading before starting (NEJM 2001)
                -Know what your program thinks about 'relative adrenal insufficiency' and its management, the classic trials are the corticus and french trials.
                -Learn what you can about managing ventilators, so couldn't find a good reference for this!

turkeyjerky

10+ Year Member
                Sep 27, 2008
                1. Resident [Any Field]
                  Uptodate I guess is pretty good...but after a week on my ICU rotation I felt pretty comfortable playing with the ventillators, where as previously I was scared to death of even touching them. I guess you can read up on ARDS bc its probably the best case to study to really start to understand vents..
                  your hospital lets students "play" around with ventilators? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...

Mr hawkings

10+ Year Member
                  Jul 20, 2004
                  1. Resident [Any Field]
                    I highly doubt this too.

Hands off vents med students! My upper level won't even let me measure Pplat without an RT or him right next to me.

What happens when your first rotation as an intern is ICU and you never did it in 4th yr. Does the dept understand and make sure you're paired up with a good upper level?

joeDO2

10+ Year Member
                    May 18, 2010
                    1. Resident [Any Field]
                      a good intro to vent and other high-yield ICU topics is in the course FCCS- fundamentals of critical care support. it is usually only a few days so if you are really interested in getting a good handle on things you might want to check it out. the textbook for the course is also good reading in general.

Laryngophed

Supratentorial problems
                      10+ Year Member
                      Sep 4, 2007
                      TDC
                      1. Fellow [Any Field]
                        No fear. The ACGME won't let an intern touch a ventilator either without direct supervision now.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg

About the Ads
                        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.