ICU rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ami1983

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
didn't find a recent thread about this- recommendations for books/apps/etc to use in preparing for a surgical ICU rotation? I need to honor this, so any advice would be helpful. TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

didn't find a recent thread about this- recommendations for books/apps/etc to use in preparing for a surgical ICU rotation? I need to honor this, so any advice would be helpful. TIA!

The icu book by Marino is excellent. It does a great job of explaining the physiology behind critical care.

The icu book by Marino is excellent. It does a great job of explaining the physiology behind critical care.

i hate that book. i just bought the Washington Manual of Critical Care. It's smaller and has useful algorithms that carries over to other non ICU rotations. I also just finished reading this www.ascca.org/pdfs/residents-guide-2009.pdf

otherwise, you cant really do much. practice how to do compressions and you can look like a stud if you do it right :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Both of those books are kinda long and dry IMHO... I think uptodate.com is probably your best resource or even just step up to medicine.. Honestly the ICU isnt too much different than the regular floors. Once you understand ventillators the rest is pretty similar. Patient are just on drips and sedated...

Both of those books are kinda long and dry IMHO... I think uptodate.com is probably your best resource or even just step up to medicine.. Honestly the ICU isnt too much different than the regular floors. Once you understand ventillators the rest is pretty similar. Patient are just on drips and sedated...

ok, any suggestions for learning ventilators?

You need to listen to the podcast "ICU Rounds" by Jeff Guy. He is a burn intensivist at Vanderbilt and has an excellent podcast series on stuff pertaining to the ICU. Go to www.burndoc.com or search ICU rounds on iTunes. All totally free.

You need to listen to the podcast "ICU Rounds" by Jeff Guy. He is a burn intensivist at Vanderbilt and has an excellent podcast series on stuff pertaining to the ICU. Go to www.burndoc.com or search ICU rounds on iTunes. All totally free.

Wish I knew about this when I was on critical care...

ok, any suggestions for learning ventilators?

Uptodate I guess is pretty good...but after a week on my ICU rotation I felt pretty comfortable playing with the ventillators, where as previously I was scared to death of even touching them. I guess you can read up on ARDS bc its probably the best case to study to really start to understand vents..

thanks! will check them out

Would like to second The ICU Book, by Marino. Very clear and readable, provides lots of background information.

Some other concepts to know, that might be helpful if going for honors:
-Concept of early goal directed therapy for sepsis, there's a classic paper on this topic that would be worth reading before starting (NEJM 2001)
-Know what your program thinks about 'relative adrenal insufficiency' and its management, the classic trials are the corticus and french trials.
-Learn what you can about managing ventilators, so couldn't find a good reference for this!

Uptodate I guess is pretty good...but after a week on my ICU rotation I felt pretty comfortable playing with the ventillators, where as previously I was scared to death of even touching them. I guess you can read up on ARDS bc its probably the best case to study to really start to understand vents..
your hospital lets students "play" around with ventilators? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...

your hospital lets students "play" around with ventilators? Sounds like a recipe for disaster...

I highly doubt this too.

Hands off vents med students! My upper level won't even let me measure Pplat without an RT or him right next to me.

I highly doubt this too.

Hands off vents med students! My upper level won't even let me measure Pplat without an RT or him right next to me.

What happens when your first rotation as an intern is ICU and you never did it in 4th yr. Does the dept understand and make sure you're paired up with a good upper level?

What happens when your first rotation as an intern is ICU and you never did it in 4th yr. Does the dept understand and make sure you're paired up with a good upper level?
No fear. The ACGME won't let an intern touch a ventilator either without direct supervision now.

a good intro to vent and other high-yield ICU topics is in the course FCCS- fundamentals of critical care support. it is usually only a few days so if you are really interested in getting a good handle on things you might want to check it out. the textbook for the course is also good reading in general.

No fear. The ACGME won't let an intern touch a ventilator either without direct supervision now.

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.thumbnail.jpg