Idaho State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zebiraross

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the acceptance letter either today or yesterday (I didn't check the mail yesterday). At the interview they said the letters would go out April 2-6 so I was a little suprised to get it so early. I'm glad I got the letter this time, the stupid usps got my interview letter to me 2 weeks late! The only reason I knew I had a interview is because I called the school.

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else got accepted at ISU.

Members don't see this ad.

I got on the alternate list here with a 3.75 uGPA with a BS in Microbiology and a 4.0 graduate GPA with a Master in Public Health. Unfortunately, I was sick the day I interviewed and did not do the best on my interview apparently, according to Dr. Culbertson. I was just wondering what your stats were and if your in-state or out of state? I would like to continue to go to school in my home state of Idaho but will be only able to wait so long to get a definative answer. I have a couple more offers on the table so I have so choices to make here. I just find it hard to believe not doing well in a 40 minute interview automatically places someone on the waitlist when you have a master's degree with a great academic record and good recommendations. :thumbdown: It does seem that there are quite a few people that make it off the waitlist so not all hope is lost. :p Hopefully, I can get off the waitlist soon so I can make a more informed decision about my future. Anyway zebiraross, congrats on the acceptance to ISU and hopefully I will be joining you in the fall!

I feel your pain. This is my second year applying and it isn't uncommon to not get accepted on the first try. From talking to Cynthia and other students it's safe to say that at least 50% of those accepted are 2nd or 3rd time applicants. I am a Idaho resident. 3.6 overall 3.8 scientific, no degree. It's just so unpredictable, but I'm sure your high on the alternate list with your gpa and degree. I know that they do weigh the interview very heavily so if you have a bad day or get the wrong professors it can cause problems. I felt like I did well with the interview. I actually like that setting for some strange reason. Both my professors were really nice and just wanted to talk and find out about me. But I'm glad you have some alternates so you have something to fall back on if you end up deciding not to wait. I'm just thinking with your stats you have to be high on the waiting list. Did Cynthia tell you where you were on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, Cynthia would not specify on exactly where I was on the waiting list for some reason. I wish I knew because it pretty much determines if you'll get an acceptance or not. I did here that they tend to accept more people if it is there second time applying... I hate that game. Since I am getting kind of old in my mind, waiting another year doing nothing is not an ideal situation for me at this point. If I could do it over I would probably apply as an undergrad and plan to be rejected the first time but would still have work to do on the bachelor's and just apply the next year. Yeah, I pretty surprised how much weight they put on the interview since it is pretty subjective. This is especially true if you get some bad interviewers... I just did not seem to vibe with one of them although the other was cool. Dr. Culbertson said my interview score was between 75-85 which automatically puts an applicant on the waitlist despite GPA, degrees, recommendations, etc. Wish I knew this beforehand! She said that 14 people on average get off the waitlist a year. Unfortunately some people will not be notified until the end of July... two weeks before school starts! That is not an ideal situation. The thing that really hurts for me right now is that other schools are asking for hefty deposits ($500-$1000) in order to save my spot which are due in the next two weeks. I really want to go to ISU but these these other schools are probably going to force me into a decision before ISU notifies me. Why me!

I asked Cynthia if I had any advantage for 1) being a 2nd time applicant and 2)for having all my course work done compared to someone who didn't. She said that neither of these factors had any weight on being accepted or rejected.
That's wierd because last year I was in the 80 something % for the interview and didn't get on the wait list. Just a big fat rejection letter.

Yeah, that is weird. If that is true, then I should be rejected right now unless they changed the guidelines this year. I really think they take into consideration the fact that someone has a bachelor's or master's. I mean, how can they not. Would they accept someone with the exact same score in the admissions process who is still working on prerequisites for the program or would they accept a person who has a bachelor's already. I'm guessing the person with the bachelor's. I even have done some of the first year work like a year of biochem and human physiology so if I got accepted the first year would be a breeze. In addition I do not have to take anymore generals throughout the first two years of the program like most students do since I already graduated. I'm just happy I'm not rejected because of that stupid interview!

Has anyone else been waitlisted/accepted to ISU?

I was accepted a while ago, but I am waiting to hear from WSU before accepting. I have pending publications in the journal Microbiology and a BS in Microbiology and BA in Spanish (GPA was around 3.6). I think the interview is crucial for any program though and can see why they weight it. If I get in at WSU I will likely go there as I felt the program was much more competetive and that pharmacy in general is thriving in that particular state compared to Idaho. If I do get in, then you can have my spot! :)

Did anyone else feel like the program was kind of unorganized due to the long, wierd waiting periods that accompanied the interview, tour, etc?

Also, anyone know of current students that either did or did not like the program?

I totally agree with the interview being WAY to long and dragging out. I think there is purpose to that though. I think they want to see how you can interact with the others at the interview and with the students on campus. That's just my opinion though. I agree with you also about why they weigh the interview heavily. As far as pharmacy thriving at WSU...Are you talking about Washington State in Pullman? That's about as secluded as ISU in Pocetello. Pharmacy is thriving everywhere. Regardless of where you get your degree you will have a job pretty much where ever you want.

The program at ISU is fantastic. I know several students who love the school, curriculum, faculty, and so on. They have nothing but good things to say about ISU except for that is is a challenge to do well. As with any pharmacy school.

I have heard some good and some bad things about ISU...
Good: nice facilities, friendly faculty
Bad: v.small town, and last year when I worked with a student/intern from ISU, he failed his naplex, and was complaining that most of students & faculty are Mormons( no bad feelings OK) and if you are not, then you are kind of left out...

last year when I worked with a student/intern from ISU, he failed his naplex, and was complaining that most of students & faculty are Mormons( no bad feelings OK) and if you are not, then you are kind of left out...

Yes its true that Idaho has a large number of mormons ( http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_lds.html and http://www.allaboutmormons.com/number_of_mormons.php) but I've never heard about any correlation between mormon influence and the Naplex pass rate:rolleyes:
If you lived in Georgia, PharmDToBe, you'd have to deal with the high percentage of baptists ( http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_bap.html) and by your logic that could have affected your friend's naplex passing likelihood too:)

Best wishes to you:)

Yes, WSU is in an isolated location, however, WA as a state has way more collaborative practice agreements for pharmacists than ID does, which is appealing to me. I also felt like the students applying there were more competetive and they take much fewer students without a BA/BS compared to ISU. That said, there are some things I certainly like about ISU such as price and the size of the program being small. I also don't want to be isolated in a location where if you are not mormon, you are an outcast (I grew up in Twin Falls, that's how it was there) as I don't think I will perform as well as I can if that is the case. I don't think anyone meant to say mormonism correlated with the naplex, but group study and being an outcast as a result of not being a mormon would certainly make you second guess going to school at ISU.

Anyone have any info on how mormon the school is? I have Mormon friends from highschool, but I am afraid of being an outcast in Pocatello...Anyone else in my boat?

Yes, WSU is in an isolated location, however, WA as a state has way more collaborative practice agreements for pharmacists than ID does, which is appealing to me. I also felt like the students applying there were more competetive and they take much fewer students without a BA/BS compared to ISU. That said, there are some things I certainly like about ISU such as price and the size of the program being small. I also don't want to be isolated in a location where if you are not mormon, you are an outcast (I grew up in Twin Falls, that's how it was there) as I don't think I will perform as well as I can if that is the case. I don't think anyone meant to say mormonism correlated with the naplex, but group study and being an outcast as a result of not being a mormon would certainly make you second guess going to school at ISU.

Anyone have any info on how mormon the school is? I have Mormon friends from highschool, but I am afraid of being an outcast in Pocatello...Anyone else in my boat?

Yes its true that Idaho has a large number of mormons ( http://www.adherents.com/largecom/com_lds.html and http://www.allaboutmormons.com/number_of_mormons.php) but I've never heard about any correlation between mormon influence and the Naplex pass rate:rolleyes:
If you lived in Georgia, PharmDToBe, you'd have to deal with the high percentage of baptists and by your logic that could have affected your friend's naplex passing likelihood too:)

Best wishes to you:)

I don't correlate someone's religion to the NAPLEX passing rate, OK, lets make this clear. All I wanted to say is that he felt out because he wasn't one of them, he wasn't Mormon. And if you don't get along very well with most students then this may affect your grades, because you learn a lot from members of your group...and vice versa.

I'm from Post Falls in northern Idaho and failed to apply to Washington State University. I do not know what I was thinking. If I end up applying again next year that will definately be my top choice. I did find out today that I got into the University of Wyoming so things are not all bad. I wish you luck sellindrugz for your spot in WSU. From your stats and accomplishments you should be getting unless something crazy happens. And ISU's process was waaaaay too long, I was there all day for just 2-3 hours of actually interaction with interviewers or activities. I also do feel that ISU accepts way too many undergrads which makes the program less competitive. I am not going to say that weighing the interview heavily is right or wrong but to compare grades, PCAT's, recommendations, and other accomplishments less heavily than a 3-hour interview day seems absolutely crazy!

Hey guys - This is a bit of a sensitive subject, so I'm not going to state too many opinions here. But Pocatello & ISU aren't as bad as you're making them out to be. PM me if you have any questions about life as a non-LDS student at ISU. Just a hint - I'm not a total outcast!

Agreed 3X. While as an applicant to ISU I felt like the entire process was odd and long and the campus not feeling much like college, it sounds like there are definately students who feel the program is great. Perhaps I'll have to consider accepting at ISU. Thanks for the discussion to all.