Ideal Amount of Time to Shadow Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LuvCaramelFraps

Hey everyone, I was fortunate enough that one of the clinical pharmacist at the hospital I work at is allowing me to shadow her for an entire day. She seems really nice and I'm sure that if I asked I could shadow her again. What is the ideal amount of time to shadow a pharmacist so that she can get to know me and hopefully, I can ask her for an LOR (I'd like to apply for Fall 2009 admissions)? Is once a month a good amount of time 'til June/July? I think that shadowing her once a month is good but I don't want to bother her too much. What does everyone think? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I was fortunate enough that one of the clinical pharmacist at the hospital I work at is allowing me to shadow her for an entire day. She seems really nice and I'm sure that if I asked I could shadow her again. What is the ideal amount of time to shadow a pharmacist so that she can get to know me and hopefully, I can ask her for an LOR (I'd like to apply for Fall 2009 admissions)? Is once a month a good amount of time 'til June/July? I think that shadowing her once a month is good but I don't want to bother her too much. What does everyone think? Thanks!

I think what's important is what you gain from that experience. Once a month is more than plenty, but if you want an LOR from her, you will want to demonstrate consistency, professionalism, etc. etc.

It entirely depends on what's best for you as a candidate. If you're totally spread thin everywhere else, then maybe once a month is preferable so you don't go insane or have an unnecessary nervous breakdown. ;)

However, it might be even better to start shadowing as frequently as she'll let you and then see about applying for a job to get even more experience. Just something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
However long it takes you to realize that Pharmacy is what you truly want to do, or don't want to do.

It entirely depends on what's best for you as a candidate. If you're totally spread thin everywhere else, then maybe once a month is preferable so you don't go insane or have an unnecessary nervous breakdown. ;)

However, it might be even better to start shadowing as frequently as she'll let you and then see about applying for a job to get even more experience. Just something to think about.

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I'd like to find a job that's directly related to pharmacy but I'm already working as a lab assistant at the hospital and I'm already committed to that job because everyone I work with is nice and I even had to cut some of my hours to take some of the prerequisites for pharmacy school (such as speech, econ, and anatomy because as a bio major at UCI for some reason I didn't need to take speech and econ and anatomy was an elective). I also volunteer at a local clinic and I'm looking intosummer internships that focus more on pharmaceutical research. I definitely think that shadowing is the route I need to go in order to stay with my other commitments.