ideal gas and KE question (destroyer possible error?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangepopsicle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I seem to have come across a contradicting question in the 2010 DAT Destroyer Chem section, and need your help figuring this out.

Q21 states: Consider five identical 1.0 liter flasks at 1 atm pressure and 25°C containing Cl2 , Ar, NH3, CH4 N2. Which statement is false?

a) Cl2 flask has the highest density
b) NH3 and CH4 have the fastest velocity
c) All gases have the same average kinetic energy
d) All gases contain an equal number of molecules
e) All are true

the answer for Q21 is E. the answer choice I have a problem with is c)All gases have the same average kinetic energy. The explanation in the back says " since the temperature is the same, all molecules have the same kinetic energy"

The part that trips me up is that Q38 states:
Which statement is false?
a) Kr has a lower average speed than Ne at the same temperature
b) The molecules of a gas undergo many collisions with each other and with the walls of the container
c) Deviations from the ideal gas law are greater at low temperature and high pressure
d) All molecules of an ideal gas have the same kinetic energy at constant temperature
e) all are true

The answer for Q38 is d) All molecules of an ideal gas have the same kinetic energy at constant temperature. I thought the answer was e since according to Q21 all molecules have the same kinetic energy at constant temperature, then a couple questions later this same principle is false? I am very confused, someone please help!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The average KE of all ideal gas at the same temperature is the same. Keep in mind that is the average, not necessarily the KE of every single gas particle. If you were to actually graph the KE of every single molecule of an ideal gas at a certain temperature you would see a distribution almost like a bell curve: some with the average KE, some lower, some higher, etc. This curve (when graphing the speed of the ideal gas particles - distribution is the same) is called a Boltzmann distribution curve. So it is false to say that all molecules of a gas have the same KE at a constant temperature, because only their overall average KE is the same. It is this specific wording that makes the choice incorrect.