"Ideal practice" question on secondary app

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Limelilly

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it appropriate to say I'm interested in a specialty that I don't have shadowing experience in? Also, is it appropriate to bring in personal medical issues (surgeries for sports injuries)?

Members don't see this ad.

I say yes to both.

Exposure to illness/injuries are often the first experience people have with the healthcare system which can serve as a good start point for one's journey to medicine. In addition, the whole 'interdisciplinary approach' often leads to exposure of multiple specialties. For example, shadowing a family or emergency medicine physician could lead you to consider a specialty you previously didn't know you were passionate about

Yes and yes. If you don't have discrete shadowing experience, at least talk about why you like that field and how you came to that opinion and how you plan to explore that interest.

And totally okay to talk about why you ended up here. So many do so because of their interactions with the healthcare system as a patient or when a family member does.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Stick with what is in your heart, not what you think the school wants to hear. The key is to convey your passion for medicine, why you are a good fit for their school, and what you have done to prepare for medical school (not necessarily the specialty you discuss).

Reactions: 1 user