Ideal time to get married?

dreambig2night

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to pick a time to get married...which would you choose and why?

Would you choose:

MS-I, MS-II, MS-III, MS-IV, PGYI, PGYII, PGYIII? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Would you choose:

I don't know that there is any right or wrong time. I would say it depends on how you and your partner really feel about everything. For one thing your goals need to be compatible. It's kind of like waiting for the right time to start a family...or the right time to quit smoking, etc...if you wait for the time to be right, it might never be.

Would you choose:

I am MS-II and got married during the summer between MS-1 and MS-2 and it worked out very well for us. My wife and I both did quite a bit of the wedding planning, so if you have a helpful spouse then I would suggest either before MS1 or right afterwards. I have several stressed MS2 women in my class trying to plan a wedding right after boards and I'm sure they aren't too happy with themselves for waiting. Anytime works, but if I had to pick I would say first choice is before med school, second choice after MS-1

Members don't see this ad :)
is it restricted for americans to reply here? haha..well..i'm egyptian ICU junior resident ..i'm not married yet ..i think marriage views is quite different here from there..i wanna say marriage is my second priority after medicine ..so i prefer to marry when my career permits me to do.
regards

yeah i agree with the poster that trying to plan a wedding and study for boards pretty much sucks. i would say summer between MI and MII.

well, i know this isn't an option, but my husband and i got married the year before his senior year of undergrad (this past august 9th)... it was the only time that would work and we figured it would make it easier for me to move/ transfer with him

IMO the timing of the marriage is much less important than the timing of babymaking.

Granted I'm a total n00b to longterm relationships, and have no experience in anything further down the line.

But it just seems to me that babymaking is the major logistical issue.

I'd say having a baby before MSIII, during MSIV, or AFTER PGY1 would be ideal times. That said lots of people do otherwise on a regular basis and seem to do fine.

MS1 here, and marrying my college sweetheart this summer.

the only real break is between MSI and MSII. I proposed to her before school started, and we did a butt load of planning before I started classes. worry more about the person youre tying the knot with than if the timing is perfect. finding the right person can more than make up for inconvenient timing.

I got married to my med student wife between MS2 and MS3. Because of this, I had to be a lot more involved that husbands usually are, and I did the brunt of the work. We got married in May, she took her boards a month later, and then we went on our honeymoon so she could relax. Made for a stressful first year of marriage, but it also made us figure out how to communicate REALLY well, REALLY fast. So we got that goin for us, which is nice. Just do, it is going to be crazy either way. It's a wedding for God sakes!

Jeez why get stuck with one partner when you are young?

We planned our wedding during the first year of residency. We got married during a two-week vacation and took a short honeymoon afterward. The key is flexibility; we know people who postponed their honeymoon indefinitely, or even held a smaller wedding because of time constraints. Both of you will likely need to make sacrifices.

Assuming you made the right choice of partner, though, going through med school and residency with someone at home is so much better than doing it alone.