Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,
I'm a California re-applicant for the 2009 cycle, and I need some advice about my chances. Here are my stats:
Bio Sci Major
Ugrad Cum GPA 3.5
Ugrad Sci GPA 3.38
** very strong upward progression, last two years of undergrad GPA 3.87 taking all upper div biology courses
** Sci GPA mostly hurt by my C's in Gchem my first year
Jan 2007 MCAT 10 Verb, 10 Phys, 9 Bio, O Writing
** recent retake in May 2008, with my scores set to be out in 2 days 😱, can't really say how I did because it was a particularly difficult administration
Extras
1.5 years volunteering at a local hospital
2 years of undergrad research experience
- published abstract and pending publication
- recieved a grant over a summer to do research
2 years as a part of a community service club (active member)
Anthropology Minor
Study Abroad Program over a summer
Deans Honor List 6 Consecutive Quarters
Graduated Spring 2007
The first time I applied I recieved no interviews, even though I applied broadly. I was complete with most schools by late Sept - early Oct.
What I have done while applying the first time:
-Worked full time as a scribe in an emergency department getting some excellent clinical experience (2 new letters of recommendation coming from this experience)
-Attending and participating in a cadaver lab for a day
After calling up multiple Ad Coms from the schools I applied to I was told:
- Apply Early
- Beef up my community service experience
- Possible MCAT retake
- Take some sci courses to add to SCI GPA
As a result I am planning to submit my primary to AMCAS by the end of this coming week, and I have retaken the MCAT. But I have unfortunatley not done any community service in my year off and have not taken any extra sci courses since graduation. So for this next year off I plan on continuing my work at the ER, getting involved in a community service activity that I will list on my secondaries, and taking 16 units of upper div sci courses over this summer and sending my transcripts for those classes in Sept, (potential boost of sci GPA to 3.45).
Thats le plan.
Now for le questions:
-What are my chances?
-Do you think taking some science courses this summer could be beneficial to me?
Thank you for taking the time to read through my super long post, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I'm a California re-applicant for the 2009 cycle, and I need some advice about my chances. Here are my stats:
Bio Sci Major
Ugrad Cum GPA 3.5
Ugrad Sci GPA 3.38
** very strong upward progression, last two years of undergrad GPA 3.87 taking all upper div biology courses
** Sci GPA mostly hurt by my C's in Gchem my first year
Jan 2007 MCAT 10 Verb, 10 Phys, 9 Bio, O Writing
** recent retake in May 2008, with my scores set to be out in 2 days 😱, can't really say how I did because it was a particularly difficult administration
Extras
1.5 years volunteering at a local hospital
2 years of undergrad research experience
- published abstract and pending publication
- recieved a grant over a summer to do research
2 years as a part of a community service club (active member)
Anthropology Minor
Study Abroad Program over a summer
Deans Honor List 6 Consecutive Quarters
Graduated Spring 2007
The first time I applied I recieved no interviews, even though I applied broadly. I was complete with most schools by late Sept - early Oct.
What I have done while applying the first time:
-Worked full time as a scribe in an emergency department getting some excellent clinical experience (2 new letters of recommendation coming from this experience)
-Attending and participating in a cadaver lab for a day
After calling up multiple Ad Coms from the schools I applied to I was told:
- Apply Early
- Beef up my community service experience
- Possible MCAT retake
- Take some sci courses to add to SCI GPA
As a result I am planning to submit my primary to AMCAS by the end of this coming week, and I have retaken the MCAT. But I have unfortunatley not done any community service in my year off and have not taken any extra sci courses since graduation. So for this next year off I plan on continuing my work at the ER, getting involved in a community service activity that I will list on my secondaries, and taking 16 units of upper div sci courses over this summer and sending my transcripts for those classes in Sept, (potential boost of sci GPA to 3.45).
Thats le plan.
Now for le questions:
-What are my chances?
-Do you think taking some science courses this summer could be beneficial to me?
Thank you for taking the time to read through my super long post, any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!