tompharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Anyone have any ideas for applying to jobs. Basically, I got my license 2 months ago. Since that time I have been applying to all jobs on indeed.com in my area. So far, I got 2 applications for PRN pharmacists for staffing companies (Don't really want to drive 50 miles a day for work), 1 phone interview for LTC pharmacy (not selected based on experience) and 1 in person interview for a specialty pharmacy (not selected). I also got an email from walmart and they didn't select me for the 5 jobs I applied to (not sure why but I assume everyone is applying there).

So about 2 weeks ago I went around to 7 independents in my area and dropped off a resume and I got 2 offers for part time jobs. The first one I turned down because the hirer wanted me to get his home infusion pharmacy off the ground and I don't have any knowledge on that. The other hired me and I worked there for one day and it seems (based on feedback from this website) that it is a pill mill so I am going to quit.

What should I do to get a job. I'm not desperate yet but I need to get some type of work within the next 8 months. What other ways can I go about my search that I am not tapping into?

OP
T

tompharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
anyone know of other types of places I can apply to or ways to get my resume out?

OP
T

tompharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I agree. If someone is willing to hire you, why not take the position? You can always learn on the job.
Well, I had to choose between the pill mill pharmacy and the home infusion. I chose the pill mill, however, at the time I didn't know it was a pill mill til I started working there.

StellargalS

lollipop! POP!
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Beach side Southern California
Status
Pharmacist
Going forward don't be afraid to push the envelop. People get fired for way pettier things than failing so WTF. Right? More will come. Good job on storming the indies. Awesome. :highfive:I am a vet and even I would have gotten frustrated by cold call/drop in number 4. I would keep going with the indies if you can find them. If you hit 4 more you might get 1. Predictive probability not my forte but it definitely will NOT hurt.

Apr 17, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
You asked, "anyone know of other types of places I can apply to or ways to get my resume out?"

Since you've exhausted all the traditional venues for dispersing your resume.
Why not rent a bill board in your area and put your photo/ resume on it?
or
Make friends with your mailman, his name is Roy, isn't it?. Have him put a copy of your resume, in with the mail being delivered to all the nicer looking homes on his route.

1800callsaul

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
Status
Post Doc
What about school?

1. My school had an interview day. I was able to snag my first job at a major chain because of that. I was also able to get at least 6 interviews at other retailers (never pursued because I had an offer after my first interview with the major chain that hired me).

2. Even if the school doesn't have an interview day, there has to be someone at your school who has connections… it's in the school's best interest to get their recent grads employed because it reflects on their program. I know a few unemployed recent grads that found interviews and employment by simply talking to an individual at school.

3. Preceptors from rotations can be good to keep in your network. That's how I got my most recent non-retail job.

4. If all else fails, you could try your hand at getting a residency. If it were me and I was interested in retail, I'd consider a community residency with WAGs or Kroger. You'll get your "foot in the door" and if you perform well you may be able to snag a job after the residency is over.

Best of luck to you.

OP
T

tompharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
What about school?

1. My school had an interview day. I was able to snag my first job at a major chain because of that. I was also able to get at least 6 interviews at other retailers (never pursued because I had an offer after my first interview with the major chain that hired me).

2. Even if the school doesn't have an interview day, there has to be someone at your school who has connections… it's in the school's best interest to get their recent grads employed because it reflects on their program. I know a few unemployed recent grads that found interviews and employment by simply talking to an individual at school.

3. Preceptors from rotations can be good to keep in your network. That's how I got my most recent non-retail job.

4. If all else fails, you could try your hand at getting a residency. If it were me and I was interested in retail, I'd consider a community residency with WAGs or Kroger. You'll get your "foot in the door" and if you perform well you may be able to snag a job after the residency is over.

Best of luck to you.

Yeah I have one preceptor that I talked to and said I could use him as a professional reference. The other preceptors have moved to new locations or I do not keep in contact with. I wish I had a chance to go to my school's "interview day" but I was on rotation in another city and I didn't at the time think it was going to be a breaker for me. That is the one thing I regret not doing. I also don't know who I could talk to at my school about jobs.

Nov 15, 2013
Status
Pharmacist
I would say go out of state if you are able to. I was in the same shoes as you and I just got a pretty good offer. My plan is to work out of state (in Washington) for a couple years to save up some money and transfer back home. I can give you the recruiter from the chain that I got an offer from. PM me if you are interested. Good luck!

OP
T

tompharm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I called my school today and they invited back to my school's "interview day" since I was unable to make it when I was going to school. The only thing is that it's not until fall of 2014.