Ideas for chances/school list?? 2020 Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jginkc12

Reaction score
  • Year in school: Graduated Spring 2018, currently working on Paramedic certificate part-time (upgrade from AEMT) and working FT. B.A in Music Performance (and pre-med at the same time) from medium sized state school.

• Country/state of residence: USA, MO

• Schools to which you are applying: (super variable list and I really have no idea what to change!)

• University of Kansas (ideal), Univ of Missouri, BU, UCLA, Icahn SOM at Mt. Sinai, Cornell, Albert Einstein, Dartmouth (I'm from NH), Hofstra, NY Medical College, Northwestern, Pitt, Rush, Tufts, Stony Brook (welcome any suggestions at all, would like to stay urban)
  • Cumulative GPA: 3.84

• Science GPA: 3.77

• MCAT Scores: unsure now but studying hard and looks ok (hoping for 515 or above?)

• Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc):

• This is my weakest component:

• 1 summer in a biochemistry lab (hated it, lab is not for me)

• 1 paper presentation (medical humanities) at undergrad research conference.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites

• Advanced EMT and supervisor, 3100+ hours volunteered at a decently large ambulance service (not just college, covers three towns etc). Supervised major events, trained new members, helped lead organization, attended a few national EMS conferences. Anywhere from 24-48 hours a week, this was my main thing and I discovered my passion for emergency medicine here. Really strong leadership/supervisory component here too.

• In the next couple months, I'll be using my AEMT to do some weekend work at underserved/ free clinics around the US, hopefully before I submit my application but mostly because I just want to.
  • Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties

• 52 hours, emergency physician
  • Non-clinical volunteering

• two year seat on Board of Directors at aforementioned non-profit ambulance service (4 hrs/week)

• teaching music in the city to kids on weekends right now (2hrs/week)
  • Extracurricular activities

• Music: tour through europe with school jazz ensemble, top seats in both wind symphony and jazz band
  • Employment history

• Advanced EMT (4 years) at a local fire department (about 24hrs/week)

• EMT/AEMT lab teaching assistant for 4 years (4hrs/week)

• Currently consultant (from home) for a national medical non-profit (full time, two months)

• Will begin working in major busy emergency department here soon.

• Taught music briefly for the past couple months.
  • Immediate family members in medicine? No

• Specialty of interest: Emergency medicine, EMS, surgery (trauma?)

• Shadowing experience

• University of New England Shadow Day

• Previous ED physician shadowing

• I also have done plenty of clinicals with nurses/physicians through my certifications, and also continue to work around them (if that counts at all)
  • Graduate degrees: Started masters in music but only did one semester before realizing I just want to be a doctor, paramedic certificate now.

• Interest in rural health No

• My letters of recommendation will hopefully be pretty good.
Any help on my chances and list would be so appreciated! Like I said my school list is all over the place because I'm not super sure where to shoot for. Also I know I don't have an MCAT score yet so that will definitely present some challenges but I'm taking it in March of 2019.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest SLU and MCW. Both are urban and in the Midwest.
FWIW: I’m just an applicant this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Difficult to give you a school list without a MCAT score. When are you taking the MCAT? Post your score here when available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Difficult to give you a school list without a MCAT score. When are you taking the MCAT? Post your score here when available.
I'm taking it in March - on the low end I'm around 510 for practice exams and I hear those (especially AAMC) will end up being pretty close. But I will, thank you!

From you original list these are reasonable choices:
U Missouri
U Kansas
BU
Einstein
Dartmouth
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Tufts
Rush
You could add these schools:
Seton Hall