Ideas for jobs for extra money 4th year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strive01

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have have good ideas for a part-time job or side gig during 4th year?!

Anything medicine related?

thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could always auction your virginity on the internet. Oh wait...

Reactions: 4 users
Lots of people do MCAT prep or private tutoring here. There are also plenty of opportunities for TAing which pay very well, though that obviously may not be available at your institution.
Wow, MCAT prep as M4s? I guess I could see that. I'm surprised M4s TA - although I'm guessing it might be bc of other benefits? :p

Wow, MCAT prep as M4s? I guess I could see that. I'm surprised M4s TA - although I'm guessing it might be bc of other benefits? :p

Yeah, it's pretty popular and can be lucrative. I'm TAing our neuroanatomy course which is roughly 5-6 weeks and am getting more than a grand for the time. Not getting rich, of course, but it's a good way to offset interview costs. People that TA anatomy here can easily make $3-4k for about two months of work.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, it's pretty popular and can be lucrative. I'm TAing our neuroanatomy course which is roughly 5-6 weeks and am getting more than a grand for the time. Not getting rich, of course, but it's a good way to offset interview costs. People that TA anatomy here can easily make $3-4k for about two months of work.
WOW!!! - most definitely institution dependent then. Depending on where you're flying out to, when you book flights (Southwest and Travelocity/Orbitz for the win!), getting even a grand is a big deal.

Edit: Oh, I wasn't clear, but by benefits I was referring to dating/hook ups.

Damn when we TA'ed anatomy as fourth years it was counted as an elective rotation. We definitely didn't get paid for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Damn when we TA'ed anatomy as fourth years it was counted as an elective rotation. We definitely didn't get paid for it.

Yeah, well you can also get credit for TAing stuff if you prefer. You can't get both. For some things, though, there's such a large discrepancy in the money vs. credit options that it's hard to turn the cash down.

Why would you TA in 4th year just for the benefit of elective credit?

Members don't see this ad :)
My institution allowed anatomy TA's to offer services on the side for more money since I think they get paid $10-15 an hour which means about $100 per week for 12 weeks for official duties.

For instance, we have 2 practical exams (tagged IDs) and before each, a few TA's get together and run practices using the actual cadavers. They charge something like $10-20 per student and almost everyone does it. So for a class of 230 students, that's at least 200x$20 = $4000 split between maybe 5 TAs twice a semester. $1600 right there.

Plus, every TA is allowed to offer extra tutoring. They do $40/hr and a max of 4 students per group. So if you can get a few friends together, it's not a bad idea. But they do make a killing on that as well.

So TAing can be a lucrative gig.

My institution allowed anatomy TA's to offer services on the side for more money since I think they get paid $10-15 an hour which means about $100 per week for 12 weeks for official duties.

For instance, we have 2 practical exams (tagged IDs) and before each, a few TA's get together and run practices using the actual cadavers. They charge something like $10-20 per student and almost everyone does it. So for a class of 230 students, that's at least 200x$20 = $4000 split between maybe 5 TAs twice a semester. $1600 right there.

Plus, every TA is allowed to offer extra tutoring. They do $40/hr and a max of 4 students per group. So if you can get a few friends together, it's not a bad idea. But they do make a killing on that as well.

So TAing can be a lucrative gig.

I repeat...damn.

Practice practicals were expected to be set up and run by TAs after hours or on the weekend out of the goodness of our hearts.

keep it professional
gay 4 pay webcaming.

Does reviewing anatomy thru cadaver dissection really help that much vs. in vivo?

Yes. We are fortunate at my program to have a skills lab w/ cadavers once a month focusing on one particular body area for vascular dissection. I started dissecting every last groin, neck, subclavian, axillary, brachial, AKpop, BKpop, PT and AT on them. Then the other residents caught on and now I have to share =/.

The main thing is, no pressure. You can take your time. You can think. Nobody breathing down your neck, no 3-4 more cases to do. No consults waiting on the floor etc.

Yes. We are fortunate at my program to have a skills lab w/ cadavers once a month focusing on one particular body area for vascular dissection. I started dissecting every last groin, neck, subclavian, axillary, brachial, AKpop, BKpop, PT and AT on them. Then the other residents caught on and now I have to share =/.

The main thing is, no pressure. You can take your time. You can think. Nobody breathing down your neck, no 3-4 more cases to do. No consults waiting on the floor etc.
Oh, as a vascular fellow. When do you fit that in?

Practice practicals were expected to be set up and run by TAs after hours or on the weekend out of the goodness of our hearts.

All I can say is lol, I hope you guys got tipped...

All I can say is lol, I hope you guys got tipped...
We've got free reviews that are run through the SGA, plus a group of about six paid full-time anatomy fellows (they do anatomy labs, research, and teaching for a full year between OMS-2 and OMS-3) that do weekly reviews.

Oh, as a vascular fellow. When do you fit that in?

Once a month the faculty leave a Friday morning open from cases. Usually we'll have maybe 1 OR going from the night before or other unplanned stuff and the senior fellow (who will likely benefit least from the lab time will cover that. The rest of the faculty (usually 4-5 of them at least) will show up and walk the residents/fellows through endo simulators, anastamosis/patch suture workshops (mostly for the interns) and the cadaver dissections. It is protected education time. Usually we have 1-2 trainees per faculty for the sessions. After a couple of hours the faculty get bored or called away, so most of us stay and run through dissections. It is really nice for the junior residents/interns to be able to ask their questions while being walked through a dissection on a cadaver with just other residents around. I'd like to think that we all benefit from it.

Does reviewing anatomy thru cadaver dissection really help that much vs. in vivo?

Cadaver is never as good as in vivo in terms of tissue quality and whatnot.

But you also don't get four hours to do a complete prosection of someone's mediastinum in vivo.

Or hours of unstructured/unburdened time to review the material without pressure.