Ideas for orthopedic radiology presentation topic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a radiology elective right now and in the last week we're all supposed to do ~15 minute presentations on "a topic of our choice." Looking through the folder of past student talks there appears to be a lot of things that I think are very boring to me at least (i.e. gallstones, appy, etc). Since I'm considering ortho at this point in medical school I thought it would be good to do a topic I'm interested in for my presentation, but simple fractures may be boring as well. Can anyone throw out some ideas for orthopedic radiology topics that might make up a worthwhile/interesting topic for myself and the students and attendings I'm working? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How about a standard way to approach a suspected pelvic fx with xray?

AP - The way I learned was to start evaluation in the back with the Sacral Foramina, L5 trans proc, SI joint, IP line and ilioischial line, obturator foramen, tear drop, and symphysis.

Judet views - allows evaluation of anterior and posterior columns and walls.

I once found a good website that explained this rather well as well as which fxs were most common and mechanisms of injury, but a quick search doesn't show it. Good luck with the presentation.

Last edited:
I'm doing a radiology elective right now and in the last week we're all supposed to do ~15 minute presentations on "a topic of our choice." Looking through the folder of past student talks there appears to be a lot of things that I think are very boring to me at least (i.e. gallstones, appy, etc). Since I'm considering ortho at this point in medical school I thought it would be good to do a topic I'm interested in for my presentation, but simple fractures may be boring as well. Can anyone throw out some ideas for orthopedic radiology topics that might make up a worthwhile/interesting topic for myself and the students and attendings I'm working? Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

Do a made up case presentation of Parsonage-Turner syndrome. You can educate people on a new syndrome while going over basics of MRI and anatomy of shoulder area.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do a made up case presentation of Parsonage-Turner syndrome. You can educated people on a new syndrome while going over basics of MRI and anatomy of shoulder area.

Thanks, that sounds like it might be a good idea. I'm going to do a little more research.

Any more ideas? I haven't started putting the presentation together yet... Just fishing around for ideas since I've got 2 weeks still and it shouldn't take that long. Ideally I'd like to do a presentation on a topic that is not only interesting or unique radiologically (in that I can spend a little time talking about radiographic Dx since thats what this elective is), but also something that may be new to 3rd/4th year students in general

evaluation of the cspine - xray/ct. could include just trauma or degenerative/chronic changes, instability also if youre feeling ambitious. you could definitely make 15 mins out of cspine trauma.

good topic to know for anyone, in particular surgery, ortho, rads, EM.

How about the need for three dimensional imaging to ascertain true leg length discrepancies. Currently the gold standard(s)? are standing AP pelvis Xray (for this to be reliable EVERYTHING outside the film needs to be exactly the same: knee flexion, foot pronation hip IR, pelvis position) or scanogram. These two don't account for any depth changes i.e. if someone has an inominate that is rotated posteriorly, the acetabulum is deeper or more posterior. That will make the ffemur look shorter than it really is because of the sagital plane distortion of the actual length of the bone.

Make MRI the new (true) gold standard.

How about the need for three dimensional imaging to ascertain true leg length discrepancies. Currently the gold standard(s)? are standing AP pelvis Xray (for this to be reliable EVERYTHING outside the film needs to be exactly the same: knee flexion, foot pronation hip IR, pelvis position) or scanogram. These two don't account for any depth changes i.e. if someone has an inominate that is rotated posteriorly, the acetabulum is deeper or more posterior. That will make the ffemur look shorter than it really is because of the sagital plane distortion of the actual length of the bone.

Make MRI the new (true) gold standard.

how much difference in leg length are you looking for? And how expensive would that be to make it the new gold standard vs. how much would it really help? Posterior innominate, I smell an OMM treatment coming.

Soundman,

You nailed it. I am a PT. I see dozens of people with unilateral musculoskeletal symptoms. I do a 10 point clinical leg length screening and find a lot of what I believe to be leg length discrepancies. I put lifts in and most of the time they get better. However, it would be cool to prove whether or not my screening is reliable or not. It would cost some $$ to do the test but if it is compared to a clinical screening and shown to have good correlation with the mac-daddy of gold standards (a lower extremity MRI measuring for differences of 5 mm) then it would potentially solve a lot of problems that have been difficult for you guys and us guys to solve. (e.g. the recalcitrant patello-femoral syndrome, pes bursitis, SIJ pain, troch bursitis - the kind that feels better after cortisone injection but returns etc . . .)

First step would be to establish a valid "gold standard" then to compare it with other tests that are less expensive.

Like the difference between a McMurray's test and a diagnostic arthroscopy for determining meniscus tears. McMurrays is not very predictive if it is negative, its only worthy if it is positive. There are probably bettere examples.

Just an idea.