Do LOR for residency have to be from orthopedic surgeons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tomtom21

Reaction score
Had a discussion with attendings at my Uni, in it they said that all letters of recommendation should be from ortho surgeons. Any other specialty would be a negative marker even if it was a great LOR. They even went and mocked one applicant that had psych write them a LOR. In the end they said that Not having 3-4 orthopedics write you a letter saying you are "The greatest med student they've seen in years" you would not get an interview at all.

I am wondering how true this is, if I get a LOR from a different specialty, does that significantly reduce my likelihood of matching to orthopedics?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would necessarily be an app-killer, but I do think it would raise some eyebrows. It would have to be clear why you chose them to be a letter-writer and they would have to profusely explain why you are God's gift to medicine. It also can ding you from the aspect that they wouldn't be able to comment on your aptitude for orthopedics or skill/awareness in the OR.

Had a discussion with attendings at my Uni, in it they said that all letters of recommendation should be from ortho surgeons. Any other specialty would be a negative marker even if it was a great LOR. They even went and mocked one applicant that had psych write them a LOR. In the end they said that Not having 3-4 orthopedics write you a letter saying you are "The greatest med student they've seen in years" you would not get an interview at all.

I am wondering how true this is, if I get a LOR from a different specialty, does that significantly reduce my likelihood of matching to orthopedics?

You LOR should be from orthopedic surgeons. We can see the comments on your MSPE from your rotations from other services. I really valued seeing recommendations from surgeons who I knew and respected, as was the case for most others in our residency.

Reactions: 1 user