Ideas on thanking those who wrote your letters of rec...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davyjone96431

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a strong believer in expressing gratitude for people who have done you a favor so I was thinking of sending a small gift to the three people (2 professors and and a pharmacist) that wrote my letter of recommendation. But I'm brainstorming right now and the only idea I have is to send them a card along with a gift certificate.

If it is a gift certificate, what would be a cool place for them to use it at?

Restaurants (Rubios? Chilli's? TGIF?)
Bookstores (Borders?)
Coffee Places (...Beans)
Grocery Store? :laugh:

But if anyone has ideas on things other than a gift certificate, that would be yummy too. please tell me, i'm not very acknowledgeable on what mainstream people like.

Members don't see this ad.

Um...I just sent two cards and an email to the three people who wrote letters on my behalf. Are gifts even appropriate? Haha, I can just imagine the look on my professor's face if he opened up the card and saw a Rubio's gift card inside :laugh:.........but I guess it all depends on who wrote the letters for you, and the kind relationship you have with them.

I'm a strong believer in expressing gratitude for people who have done you a favor so I was thinking of sending a small gift to the three people (2 professors and and a pharmacist) that wrote my letter of recommendation. But I'm brainstorming right now and the only idea I have is to send them a card along with a gift certificate.

If it is a gift certificate, what would be a cool place for them to use it at?

Restaurants (Rubios? Chilli's? TGIF?)
Bookstores (Borders?)
Coffee Places (...Beans)
Grocery Store? :laugh:

But if anyone has ideas on things other than a gift certificate, that would be yummy too. please tell me, i'm not very acknowledgeable on what mainstream people like.

B.J.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have given thought to this as well, especially if everything goes well. These professors who helped contribute to making the application stronger; I think it says a lot to essentially vouch for someone and associate their "good" name with someone who they believe have proven themselves in their course and will prove themselves at pharmacy school.

If I get accepted, I plan on asking the professors if they would like to join my family for dinner at whatever restaurant they would like to celebrate/"thank them". I predict their reaction might be mixed, flattery and/or accepted dinner invitation.

How about baking them something? Banana bread, brownies, some really great cookies...everyone likes that kind of stuff. I know I do. :D

I just sent them thank you cards with boxes of chocolate :p

I just sent thank you cards with some cookies. I hope they liked them.

i am a firm believer too. I told my boss that if i get, i am selling my soul to him. If you do want to go above and beyond, really a gift card to restaurant always works. Maybe a nicer chain restaurant like Olive Garden or Outback .

I had two women and two men write me letters. The ladies got a 60 minute power massage (both worked with me, about 2 blocks from a nice salon) and the men got nice bottles of wine (after making sure they both drank and what they liked) along with cards.

My old boss who wrote a two page letter for me gets another present when I graduate (and get a job), but that's because she let me run wild as a contractor, student and nervous wreck for 3 years. :love:

Now you all made me feel like a Jack*ss.
I asked my two professors who i interned with in the last two summers to write me a letter of recommendation. They wrote so highly of me. So i sent them Thank you Cards. I did not know i had to send something else like chocolate or a gift card.
Do you think it is appropriate to send them something right now or is it too late that it will look cheesy?
Or maybe i should send them something if i get accepted?

i know, i feel bad, all i got them was thank you cards, how much do you guys think the gift card value should be???

im so poor that i cant afford much of these stuff, im thinking of going up to them personally and thank them, is this good?

I got my three women recommendation writers an orchid, the male one a box of nice chocolates (kept it under $15 each) AND to all, a thoughtfully written thank you card. For me, I think that a nice thank you card would have been sufficient and when I say nice, I mean that you should actually take the time to really express your gratitude and make it sincere, non generic and not just a one liner.

Understand that my circumstances are vastly different from the average applicants. I have a 70k/year job, so buying some wine and a few massage gift cards isn't a large dent. Not to mention I'm horrible at saving, so it's unlikely I would have kept that money for school had I not spent it.

I would get them something and cards are a great, cheap way to say thanks.

I plan on sending them a history from first interview letter to acceptance letter (provided I get one). I'll thank them for time and trouble, that's pretty much it.

I write lots of LORs & I don't expect a gift.

A nice handwritten thank you speaks volumes.