Ideas to create an OP clinical practice in an Independent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fluffhead.D

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, I’m trying to add/create clinical services that I will lead to my community independent pharmacy practice which consists of assisted living/LTC and compounding. I have to get the owner approval pending financial analysis suggesting it is a profitable venture. I’m trying to give the program some financial support to get them to create the position for me.

Currently, I have identified MTM services at our locations (star rating improvement, direct services billing), being able to bring other RX to our pharmacy from those interactions, onsite immunization services to our assisted living patients, mentoring PharmD students from the University as well as consultant work with a large group’s monthly psychiatric reviews. Additionally, contraception prescribing, drug information and education to our facilities and groups will be included. We are a very small independent with a couple locations and I believe the service will enhance my sanity as well as offer some financial incentive to the company in driving future revenues. We currently do little to no MTM, very few vaccinations, and hire an outside “consultant” pharmacist for some work.

Are there other areas outside of the capacity of large hospitals or other organization that I can pitch to the owners for the creation of this clinical service? Are their other areas and services I should cover? Have any of you created your own clinical service?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

ADDITIONALLY, since we are not formally affiliated with any medical practitioners, institution or practice the usual functions/infrastructure of a clinical pharmacist are not currently here. Have any of you started your own service? Most everyone here has the dispensing only mentality or are too bogged down in the day to day to see any future for this. I have the unique ability of having the trust of the owners and the ability to deliver in an area we are behind in, relative to other community pharmacies. I also would like to work with medical providers near us (we serve retirement communities too) in a way but not sure what that looks like or how to go about it.

I would highly recommend not posting about clinical pharmacy on SDN. Most people on here will automatically scoff at the idea and say it's not sustainable or something along those lines. I recommend posting this on the pharmacy subreddit.

Many pharmacies find vaccinations a logical place to start, because you can readily bill for them and profit margins are fairly good.

Collaborative practice agreement w/ a doc + regular vaccinations to patients in SNFs/ALFs is an easy win.