Identity crisis... What kind of doctors/people are Radiologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

9hoursofsleep

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
MSIII having "what do I want to be when I grow up" issues. I know each specialty has their own type of personality and fitting in with the personality is important to happiness in the field. What kind of personalities do Radiologist (especially Interventional Radiologists) have? Are they "cutter" types or "medicine" types? Do VIR docs actually get to know their patients?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about what kind of person you need to be for a specific specialty. I am not a shy person and I work very well with people and patients and I chose radiology. Some peope think that radiologists are shy and happen to not be very good clinically with patients...which is just not a fair statement. There are all kinds of radiologists.

Even for internventional radiology...when I did my IR elective I worked with several Interventionalists and one was a very strong patient advocate and enjoyed talking to patients, while others were quieter. They were all very good technically with their IR skills. So I think there is a variation even with IR.

Go for the specialty you find most interesting and think you'll be happier with in the long-term and I don't think you can go wrong.

One more thing...

Based on what I've heard and what I saw at the recent SIR meeting in N'awlins....IR is changing and in order to be successful and get referrals, etc. Interventionalists are going to need to be more clinically oriented....see patients for follow-up, have clinic, etc. Very interesting and we'll see how it's changed when I'm in my latter years of residency....I think I would like to do an IR fellowship now, but we'll see how the field changes....