Idk what to do from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulDO-MD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I'm am going to be starting my sophomore year in this incoming fall semester. I am confused as to what I can do to better my chances at med school. I understand my app is crap, but what are the majors areas that I should focus on?

Summery of stats-
- URM- black and Puerto Rican (mainland)
- sophomore psychology major chemistry minor. (GPA is lower because I've been focusing on classes like calculus and organic rather than my actual psych courses, which I'll be starting in the fall.
- cGPA: 3.55
- sGPA: 3.35

Awards-
- deans list all semesters. (All I've got. I know... sad.)

Clubs/ volunteer-
- Latino American society
- national honors society
- national chemical society
- 100 hours radiology dpt.
- (I will be volunteering in hospice this semester)

I know I've got a long way to go, but as of right now I am open to both MD and DO.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You're only a Sophomore lol work on everything. Clinical volunteering, non-clinical volunteering, gpa, and research if you want.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm am going to be starting my sophomore year in this incoming fall semester. I am confused as to what I can do to better my chances at med school. I understand my app is crap, but what are the majors areas that I should focus on?

Summery of stats-
- URM- black and Puerto Rican (mainland)
- sophomore psychology major chemistry minor. (GPA is lower because I've been focusing on classes like calculus and organic rather than my actual psych courses, which I'll be starting in the fall.
- cGPA: 3.55
- sGPA: 3.35

Awards-
- deans list all semesters. (All I've got. I know... sad.)

Clubs/ volunteer-
- Latino American society
- national honors society
- national chemical society
- 100 hours radiology dpt.
- (I will be volunteering in hospice this semester)
You're doing fine.

Those clubs don't help you much unless they lead to volunteering and leadership opportunities. Once you've explored a variety of venues for non-medical community service, give more time to the cause you care most about. Longevity in a single organization is better than 4-8 hours in each of 10 different organizations. With dedicated involvement, you'll hopefully see a leadership opportunity and take it.

Teaching is an activity that will benefit your application (includes coaching, mentoring, TA, tutor).

Look for physician shadowing opportunities, but there's no rush for this to start. Include a primary care doc.

Get more A grades, especially in the sciences.

Look for a research opportunity, over the summer or during a term. Research in psychology would be fine.

Reactions: 3 users