idk what's next for me!!!

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

futuredoctor478

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
BIdk where to start ok so I took my ACT last month and I got my scores back last week. I didn't graduate from high school due to an illness so I had to get my GED I applied to several schools in the spring and they were waiting on me to take the test. I didnt do so well I made an 14 which now has hurt my chances to start school in the fall the next test isn't till after school has start so idk wat to do now my friend has to me to give up on my dreams of becoming a Doctor do you guyss think it would be a good idea for me to go to school to become an EMT the classes start in the fall im taking all the advice I can get.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I highly recommend you buying a practice book, or even rent one from the library, to study for your ACT. Maybe you can enroll in a community college and then transfer to a university after you get your GED. Like Perry6 said, if you aren't interested in being an emt, then maybe go the community college/university transfer route, if you feel that would be in your best interest, that is.
 
I highly recommend you buying a practice book, or even rent one from the library, to study for your ACT. Maybe you can enroll in a community college and then transfer to a university after you get your GED. Like Perry6 said, if you aren't interested in being an emt, then maybe go the community college/university transfer route, if you feel that would be in your best interest, that is.
I already have my ged where I live we don't have community colleges just technical schools and they wont give me the required classes I need to transfer
 
Do they have a required SAT score? If they do maybe you're better off trying the SAT. I do somewhat realize your predicament as their are no ACT or SAT test until early October. I agree with the others though. Only take the EMT course if you truly think you will like it.
 
Keep in mind that you can often apply to colleges starting the spring semester.

However, I think you should find something to do at least for the 6 months or so until your spring semester would start. I'm not sure how long the EMT class lasts, so that might change things. However, if you are interested in it and/or medicine in general, it might be worth a try. No, it's not the same thing as being a doctor and it's not a direct path; however, it would give you a taste of medicine to see if it's something you really enjoy, and give you a career option (which might open up doors for you if you wanted to move somewhere that has a CC, for example, or another college, where you'd have some income coming in already). If you're going to get a job until you get into college might as well try something you think you'd be interested in. If you are unsure whether you want to commit to EMT school, go to your local fire station because often they will allow "ride alongs" (shadowing).

As for your ACT result, we can't tell you whether it is a fluke, whether you just need to study more, whether it is the ACT itself and you would do better on the SAT, etc. I would maybe start a "self assessment" with looking at where you thought you would score based on your previous grades as that would probably give you a better idea of how accurate the score is (to an extent, everyone has flukes). The advice to get a review book and do some serious studying is good if you would like to try again.

You might also want to explore other health-related careers, just to look at your options. Being a doctor is a great option and one test score doesn't necessarily mean you won't achieve that dream, but a lot of high schoolers also don't really know about the variety of healthcare jobs out there and you might find another one is a better fit, which is great too. Besides being an EMT (or paramedic which I think is a step up), there's nursing, physical therapy, pharmacy, occupational therapy, speech/language, pharmacy, occupational therapy, physician assistant, nurse practitioner, OR scrub tech, respiratory therapist, etc. If you decided against being an EMT, some other healthcare jobs that require a shorter training period are being a phlebotomist, CNA, and medical assistant.