if 90% of a 0.1m solution of HCl is neutralized with 0.1M naoh, what is the ph of the solution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baywatch123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basic chem/math, but that 90% is really messing with my mind. I have the solution from princeton, but i'm not sure I quite understand. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Let's use easier numbers to explain. So 90% of 100 units is equal to 90 units. Simple right?

Now, let's then re-write 0.1 as 0.100.

So now, 90% of 0.100 units is equal to 0.090 units. This new amount is what we're neutralizing. That means we're left with 0.010 units (since 0.100 units - 0.090 units = 0.010 units).

Convert 0.010 units (moles) to a pH scale.
0.010 --> 1.0 x 10^(-2), which is equivalent to a pH of 2.

On a side note, it's Thanksgiving! Relax and enjoy today.

Let's use easier numbers to explain. So 90% of 100 units is equal to 90 units. Simple right?

Now, let's then re-write 0.1 as 0.100.

So now, 90% of 0.100 units is equal to 0.090 units. This new amount is what we're neutralizing.

On a side note, it's Thanksgiving! Relax and enjoy today.

haha thanks, but i'm in Canada! our thanksgiving was in october. but happy thanksgiving to you

So is that the concentration we use to figure out the pH?

haha thanks, but i'm in Canada! our thanksgiving was in october. but happy thanksgiving to you

So is that the concentration we use to figure out the pH?
Yes. I edited my response to include the full answer breakdown. Is my answer correct? I've been off study-mode for a while so I'm a bit rusty haha.

And that's interesting, I never knew Canada had it on a different day. Thank you!

Yes. I edited my response to include the full answer breakdown. Is my answer correct? I've been off study-mode for a while so I'm a bit rusty haha.

And that's interesting, I never knew Canada had it on a different day. Thank you!

Amazing, that's the correct answer, thanks :)
haha not a problem

Reactions: 1 user