If a patient can't afford the medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

no-see-um

Bindaas
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you deal with this? I've seen an old lady not be able to get her pills because she could not afford them. It must be hard to turn a patient away.

I guess that's not considered patient abandonment by the pharmacist because there would be no compensation for services if they were rendered by the pharmacy, but I do see it as an abandonment of that patient by the healthcare system.

Members don't see this ad.

It really depends on the situation. You can try and refer them to get a lower cost Rx, or try and lower their cost by referring them to a discount plan or federal/state assistance program. Soemtimes the situation is out of your control though.

While there are certainly those who truly can't afford their meds, I've encountered a significant # of patients who say they can't afford meds, but they manage to get their 2 packs per day of cigarettes and daily 6 pack of beer. People make their choices.

For those who legitimately can't afford meds, there are various means for them to get free or low-cost meds. There are always samples (when available) and drug company programs, but in my community we also have a low-income pharmacy. I'm sure there are similar ones in other communities.

I would hope that most docs would prescribe less-expensive meds when possible. Most of the ones I have rotated with take cost into account with patients who have no drug coverage.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
While there are certainly those who truly can't afford their meds, I've encountered a significant # of patients who say they can't afford meds, but they manage to get their 2 packs per day of cigarettes and daily 6 pack of beer. People make their choices.

For those who legitimately can't afford meds, there are various means for them to get free or low-cost meds. There are always samples (when available) and drug company programs, but in my community we also have a low-income pharmacy. I'm sure there are similar ones in other communities.

I would hope that most docs would prescribe less-expensive meds when possible. Most of the ones I have rotated with take cost into account with patients who have no drudg coverage.

It's good to see that there are options like that. I think that there is a duty to remind patients of these options when there's opportunity to- like at a doctor's office or at the pharmacy. There's also a duty by the patient to put his or her health first- to make decisions that save money for the treatments needed. I would hope that most doctors would have an eye towards pharmacoeconomics when prescribing. That's an important subject to be teaching future doctors and pharmacists.

Patients who can't afford medications is the reason pharmacists are valuable. We understand pharmacoeconomics better than anyone else.

Why use a brand medication? Because it's new and that pretty drug rep wearing a low cut blouse and short miniskirt brought lunch for the whole staff?

Pharmacoeconomics is the reason why I enjoy pharmacy and pharmacy management. It's an art to treat patients ...cost effectively. It's our job to promote the most cost effective treatment options for our patients. Many prescribers are clueless when it comes to cost of drugs.

fruit fly said:
It's good to see that there are options like that. I think that there is a duty to remind patients of these options when there's opportunity to- like at a doctor's office or at the pharmacy. There's also a duty by the patient to put his or her health first- to make decisions that save money for the treatments needed. I would hope that most doctors would have an eye towards pharmacoeconomics when prescribing. That's an important subject to be teaching future doctors and pharmacists.

Fruit Fly- sorry to go off topic very briefly but I love your "Location." How can a street intersect with itself? You must be at the nexus of the universe. :laugh:

TrojanAnteater said:
Fruit Fly- sorry to go off topic very briefly but I love your "Location." How can a street intersect with itself? You must be at the nexus of the universe. :laugh:

DrMom said:

I would hope that most docs would prescribe less-expensive meds when possible. Most of the ones I have rotated with take cost into account with patients who have no drug coverage.

Sad, but so very true.

What angers me though is when it is the children's medication that is being sacrificed for unnecessary items for the mom and dad.. :confused:

bananaface said:
1st Ave and 1st St? lane, court, boulevard, loop, and so forth :p

...nexus of the universe? :D