if accpted by 1 medsch, must withdrw othr apps?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gingerbread

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am accepted by one med school (eg. u colorado), do I need to withdraw my other applications, or can I accept, send deposit and then wait to hear from my 1st choice.

Members don't see this ad.

You do not have to withdraw from all of the other schools right away. However, by May 15, you can only be holding one acceptance.

gingerbread said:
If I am accepted by one med school (eg. u colorado), do I need to withdraw my other applications, or can I accept, send deposit and then wait to hear from my 1st choice.

You may hold as many acceptance as you want until May 15th (after then you may only hold one). So, yes ... send in your deposit to hold your UCHSC spot (congratulations!!) and then you can wait until May 15th to hear from your first choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the topic of withdrawing an application, what's the best way to do this after you've sent in a deposit? Thanks!

I would just write a letter saying as much and ask that my deposit be refunded (many schools do that).

If you have an interview scheduled I would call to withdraw and then follow it up with a letter.

HrsNJ said:
On the topic of withdrawing an application, what's the best way to do this after you've sent in a deposit? Thanks!

I've been doing it by e-mail. AMCAS says that this is appropriate.

it is proper, according the staff at my school (and it seems reasonable) to withdraw from all schools whcih you know you would not be interested in. Also, you should only hold one acceptance at a time unless you are truly conflicted, seriously considering multiple schools, or waiting on financial aid information. Basically, try to avoid wasting the time of schools you know youre not interested in.

gingerbread said:

Were you accepted to CU? Woo hoo! Congratulations! Are you going to try to make it to the April 22 get together? I'd like to, but they changed it to the same weekend that UM is having their 2nd look weekend.

gingerbread said:

NO, do not withdraw your other applications unless you know for sure that you are going to that school.