If free healthcare is a human right for some people under Obamacare...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scienceguy19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Is suing the doctor who gives you the free healthcare and receiving a monetary award in millions of dollars also a human right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Services which must be provided by humans can not be human rights. Someone convince me otherwise. It's not logical.

Now, could there be moral and/or financial considerations for wealthy societies to help those with limited capability or resources obtain reasonable health care? Absolutely. Once someone calls it a right, I stop listening. There would be much better conversations about health care in this country is dumb asses would quit asserting they have the right to force someone to care for them.

Reactions: 1 users

Is suing the doctor who gives you the free healthcare and receiving a monetary award in millions of dollars also a human right?

The system isn't perfect and healthcare is no more hyper-litigated than other areas of society.

Members don't see this ad :)

This is a non sequitur.

And this is all semantics. If one determines that access to healthcare is a right or privilege of being a citizen in a country, it does not follow that one gives up all other rights (like the right to not be harmed) if participating.

This is a non sequitur.

And this is all semantics. If one determines that access to healthcare is a right or privilege of being a citizen in a country, it does not follow that one gives up all other rights (like the right to not be harmed) if participating.

On the other hand, in satisfying the rights of citizens to health care, the health care providers do not have the right to be compensated:

http://reason.com/archives/2013/11/09/obamacare-leaves-doctors-on-the-hook-for

This is a non sequitur.

Wow, that's incredible. So not only is healthcare a right, but now getting the best healthcare possible is a right. It's like we're just around to make up stuff.

In case that didn't make sense, the argument is now "healthcare is a right, and I also have a right to be treated by someone who is board certified by an accredited medical society and I also have a right for them to practice in certain ways and I also have a right to ..." It's literally just making up whatever you want and calling it "my right." You don't have a right to food, but if I were to pretend that I did, it would be akin to me saying "...and also, that food must be prepared by a four-star chef."

In case that didn't make sense, the argument is now "healthcare is a right, and I also have a right to be treated by someone who is board certified by an accredited medical society and I also have a right for them to practice in certain ways and I also have a right to ..." It's literally just making up whatever you want and calling it "my right." You don't have a right to food, but if I were to pretend that I did, it would be akin to me saying "...and also, that food must be prepared by a four-star chef."

Healthcare as a "right" is a difficult thing, because, unlike "liberty", or "life", which do not require someone else to provide it, one cannot (in virtually all cases - even doctors individually fill only a small niche of all of medicine) provide healthcare (as perceived by interested parties) for one's self. Thus, for person "A" to exercise their right, person "B" must be forced to provide that service. The 13th amendment to the US Constitution, enacted December 1865, prohibits slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime. It is THAT simple, period, full stop.

This is a definition from a legal piece regarding "involuntary servitude": "Involuntary servitude is, at its core, forced labor for the benefit of another. Such labor may be compelled by physical force or coerced. Coercion must amount to the laborer justifiably believing he has no choice but to perform the ordered work. Such coercion may, but need not necessarily, be physical."

(My post is an agreement with yours, not a dissent.)

Healthcare as a "right" is a difficult thing, because, unlike "liberty", or "life", which do not require someone else to provide it, one cannot (in virtually all cases - even doctors individually fill only a small niche of all of medicine) provide healthcare (as perceived by interested parties) for one's self. Thus, for person "A" to exercise their right, person "B" must be forced to provide that service. The 13th amendment to the US Constitution, enacted December 1865, prohibits slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime. It is THAT simple, period, full stop.

This is a definition from a legal piece regarding "involuntary servitude": "Involuntary servitude is, at its core, forced labor for the benefit of another. Such labor may be compelled by physical force or coerced. Coercion must amount to the laborer justifiably believing he has no choice but to perform the ordered work. Such coercion may, but need not necessarily, be physical."

Very good point. I also agree with rollwithit above. Not sure where we are headed, but it might not be pretty.

If you have widely metastatic lung cancer, do you have a right to drugs and treatments that cost six figures and only extend your life for months at best without even thinking about the quality of those extra months.

We need less healthcare in America.

If healthcare is a human right than what about the people of the world.

I was told that malaria kills enough children in Africa per day that essentially it is the equivalent to the 9/11/01 terrorists attacks. We consider 9/11 the greatest tragedy in the history of our country. But in Africa there is a 9/11 of children every single day due to malaria, which is highly preventable and perhaps even eraditcateable (malaria was eradicated from the US many decades ago).

If healthcare is a human right than what about the people of the world.

I was told that malaria kills enough children in Africa per day that essentially it is the equivalent to the 9/11/01 terrorists attacks. We consider 9/11 the greatest tragedy in the history of our country. But in Africa there is a 9/11 of children every single day due to malaria, which is highly preventable and perhaps even eraditcateable (malaria was eradicated from the US many decades ago).

Nobody with any knowledge of history thinks 9/11 is the greatest tragedy in the history of our country.

We don't guarantee adequate food, clothing, shelter, or jobs in this country, but comprehensive healthcare is now a right, right up there with free exercise of religion and freedom of speech. If we are going to frame private services as rights, we should probably start with the basics.

This politician wants to start forcing doctors to accept medicaid.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/dict...ors-to-accept-medicare-and-medicaid-patients/