If I denied financial aid, is there anyway I can get it back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

browneyes124

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My estimated grants and scholarships were around $12000 which would have covered all of my school costs. So I denied the stafford loan. Well now I find out that it was just an estimate of how much I could get so as of now till the school decides how much I'll officially get, I still own $3000. Is there anyway I can the the stafford loan back even though I denied it? Most of the loans and grants I've searched are through FAFSA and the stafford Is the only one i was offered
 
You'll have to check with your school financial aid office. But let this be a lesson learned: do not decline any aid until you know for sure what things will cost. You can always pay the loan back early with the funds if you need to.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, you should be able get it back. You're entitled to a certain amount of government loans every year, and you can take it out at any point during the school year regardless of whether you declined it previously. This is how it works at 4-year universities; I'm not familiar with how financial aid works at community colleges.
 
As banco said, contact the contact the school- it is it very specific to each financial aid office and can only be answered by them